Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Force Try-care insurance Midwife question

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Air Force Try-care insurance Midwife question

Advertisements
    ((Sorry if this belongs on the pregnancy topic, I didn't know which it belonged too.))

Ok, so hubby and I are finally ready to toss out the birth control and see about having a baby.

However I want to have all/most of my pre-natal care and the birth with a midwife. There is a spouse of a air force reserve who had her baby with a mid wife, and I'm in the process of talking to her, and next week sometime we'll go and talk to the try-care advisor here on base. But I thought you guys might be able to give a little information so I know what to ask and what to expect.

From talking to Arial (the reserve wife) last year, I THINK I remember her saying that all she had to do was downgrade from tri-care premium or prime whatever it is, to the next rank down and she could choose her own care givers. She's been super busy with the baby just starting to walk that she hasn't had time to email me back.

And in the army, at the 2 bases that my cousin was at with her daughters she didn't have the choice. You only saw an OB if you were high risk or had complications.

There is a midwife here in town who has a birthing room at the hospital, though I'd rather a home birth, hubby says no. I haven't talked with her yet either, I'm trying to get as informed on the insurance situation as I can.

So, do any of yall have experience with Tri-care and a midwife? Is the insurance for the Air-force different from other branches, just out of curiosity. Any advice of what I should ask the tri-care advisor or midwife when I go see them? We're not expecting yet, but I'd like to be informed before, have more than 9 months to prepare these things, just in case we are lucky and conceive right away.

Thanks for any info, advise or stories.
    Batty
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Tricare won't cover a home birth.
    But if you switch to standard then you can pick your dr/practice if they take Tricare.
    Some bases actually do have midwives. The base I'm at now uses drs and midwives.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Do you have a hospital on base or do you go to a civilian hospital?
  4. Senior Member
    AFAIK, you'll have to switch to Tricare Standard. Keep in mind when you switch to Standard, you are stuck with it for an entire year before you can re-enroll in Tricare Prim.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efiwyvaN View Post
    AFAIK, you'll have to switch to Tricare Standard. Keep in mind when you switch to Standard, you are stuck with it for an entire year before you can re-enroll in Tricare Prim.
    That's not true. E-4 and under can switch back at any time. I know the rule is in the process of changing (it may have already changed truthfully) for everyone else too.

Switch to Standard. Tricare is covering some birthing centers now (none near where I live though). They don't cover home birth as mentioned. I had a midwife at my normal OB, but she was just a glorified ARNP it seemed since she didn't really practice traditional midwife let nature take its course ideas. It was weird.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    That's not true. E-4 and under can switch back at any time. I know the rule is in the process of changing (it may have already changed truthfully) for everyone else too.

Switch to Standard. Tricare is covering some birthing centers now (none near where I live though). They don't cover home birth as mentioned. I had a midwife at my normal OB, but she was just a glorified ARNP it seemed since she didn't really practice traditional midwife let nature take its course ideas. It was weird.
    Glad that changed. When I had my youngest I also was told once I go off prime willingly I was off for a year.

OP, as stated no home birth (which I wouldn't advocate even if tricare allowed it but they aren't stupid so they wouldn't). But you need to see what is available at the duty station you are at if you are seen on base and what your offerings are off base.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Do you have a hospital on base or do you go to a civilian hospital?
    I live on what I like to call a pretend base. We don't have a hospital. We're a base for training c-17 pilots and load masters. We're tiny. I've been to the Lackland base and the OKC base, we are TINY! The commissary has 10 isles and the bx is smaller than the commissary. We're 20 feet from being a remote base too. Nothing at all like "real" air force bases. But the higher up take everything way more seriously than they do on "real" bases, like they are afraid that if we don't do better than the "real" bases they'll just close us. lol

Anyway, birthing room is fine for me. Sad that I wont be able to convince hubby to let me do a home birth, but he's giving a little for the midwife, I can give a little for the hospital room.

This base does not have midwives or even OB's. To have the baby any way at all I'd have to go to the civilian hospital.

And I'll write down the weather or not I can switch back before a year question for the advisor.
  8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Batface View Post
    I live on what I like to call a pretend base. We don't have a hospital. We're a base for training c-17 pilots and load masters. We're tiny. I've been to the Lackland base and the OKC base, we are TINY! The commissary has 10 isles and the bx is smaller than the commissary. We're 20 feet from being a remote base too. Nothing at all like "real" air force bases. But the higher up take everything way more seriously than they do on "real" bases, like they are afraid that if we don't do better than the "real" bases they'll just close us. lol

Anyway, birthing room is fine for me. Sad that I wont be able to convince hubby to let me do a home birth, but he's giving a little for the midwife, I can give a little for the hospital room.

This base does not have midwives or even OB's. To have the baby any way at all I'd have to go to the civilian hospital.

And I'll write down the weather or not I can switch back before a year question for the advisor.
    Ok so since you will already have to see an off base provider your chooses in care will be the same. You will not need to switch off Tricare prime. (I went through this with my first baby last year. Laughlin afb is just like you described too except our town was tiny too )
    Wait till you get pregnant and the base will tell you are options and will lay everything out for you
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveChildOfDudi View Post
    Ok so since you will already have to see an off base provider your chooses in care will be the same. You will not need to switch off Tricare prime. (I went through this with my first baby last year. Laughlin afb is just like you described too except our town was tiny too )
    Wait till you get pregnant and the base will tell you are options and will lay everything out for you
    The town is pretty small too. But I'm from an even smaller town, so this place for me is pretty big and I like it well enough. But omg the spouses socials (aka pre-schoolers play dates) everyone just complain and complains about the small town with nothing to do...
    They have an awesome paint-ball field, 2 wildlife parks, hiking, horse riding, camping, a lake to swim or fish or jet-ski.. A lot of that is free to, and the "I can's do that with a kid" excuse.. You don't WANT to do it with a kid. My family does that and so much more with infants. /end rant

Sorry bout that.

So since I'll have to get care off base I'll be able to choose to see the midwife so long as she takes tri-care?
  10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Haha sounds just like everyone did at Laughlin, but we were also a border town... So had to deal with crap from mexico too (drug issues)
    But just don't switch till you find out for sure what you can do. That way you can avoid any extra costs that could be free.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast