Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Navy - Administrative separation vs. medial separation

1. Senior Member

Navy - Administrative separation vs. medial separation

Advertisements
    I've been searching and searching on the internet trying to find what the difference between the two separations are, but I'm coming up short.

Some websites I have found have said that an administrative separation is the same thing as a medical separation?

Basically DH has already been through his 1st limdu and has to be reevaluated next month. When he went into his LT to be seen for his waiver for the upcoming PRT he explained to him that unless orthopedics thinks his knees/back will be getting better in the next 6 months he will not be put on a 2nd limdu and might be administratively separated. Since I thought a medical separation was called a medical separation this really confused me.

I'm basically trying to find out as much info about the two now that way we know what to expect. I know one of DH's friends got discharged for the same knee problem without being put on a limdu or seen by a doctor (other than for the recommendation for med board) and received a medical discharge. I just want to make sure DH gets an honorable separation and the benefits he deserves since he was injured during FMF training.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by corpsmanwife83 View Post
    I've been searching and searching on the internet trying to find what the difference between the two separations are, but I'm coming up short.

Some websites I have found have said that an administrative separation is the same thing as a medical separation?

Basically DH has already been through his 1st limdu and has to be reevaluated next month. When he went into his LT to be seen for his waiver for the upcoming PRT he explained to him that unless orthopedics thinks his knees/back will be getting better in the next 6 months he will not be put on a 2nd limdu and might be administratively separated. Since I thought a medical separation was called a medical separation this really confused me.

I'm basically trying to find out as much info about the two now that way we know what to expect. I know one of DH's friends got discharged for the same knee problem without being put on a limdu or seen by a doctor (other than for the recommendation for med board) and received a medical discharge. I just want to make sure DH gets an honorable separation and the benefits he deserves since he was injured during FMF training.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
    I think not having an official medical separation might make getting disability and the like more difficult because one can't prove that is why they got out.
  3. Senior Member
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm praying it'll be a medical so he can qualify for those benefits and unemployment until I'm able to find a full time job in the city.
  4. Senior Member
    Admin is different than a med board out. Yes.