Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Need help on my situation...

  1. Fresh Newbie
    lbchipmunk's Avatar
    lbchipmunk is offline
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    #1

    Need help on my situation...

    Advertisements
    DB joined the Air Force last summer and has already gone through BMT and Tech School. We currently live apart because I can't afford to move where he is just yet. I want to save up money before I move where he is so I can have back up money just in case it takes me a while to find a job. I will be flying to see him this summer and DB wants to get married at JOP and then have a ceremony later on. However, I will not be moving to where he is until this Fall.

    How does BAH work for our situation?
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #2
    My guess is that he is an E3 or less, and he will not get approval to live off base, so there will be no authorized BAH until you all get married.

    So, if you get married this summer. He will have to submit the marriage license and get you in DEERS and then he should get BAH based on where you live. It doesn't always work out that way, but he should get it once you are married.


    ETA: it could be reduced BAH since he isn't authorized to live off base if you are not there.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    lbchipmunk's Avatar
    lbchipmunk is offline
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    My guess is that he is an E3 or less, and he will not get approval to live off base, so there will be no authorized BAH until you all get married.

    So, if you get married this summer. He will have to submit the marriage license and get you in DEERS and then he should get BAH based on where you live. It doesn't always work out that way, but he should get it once you are married.


    ETA: it could be reduced BAH since he isn't authorized to live off base if you are not there.


    When I do move there this fall will he be authorized to live off base right? DB said that he would be able to get on a waiting list for house on base once we were married.
    Last edited by lbchipmunk; 03-23-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling error
  4. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #4
    the BAH will be for the Duty station - not where you live- he can get on the list for housing and even get a place on base- but once he is assigned a unit the BAH will stop.

    he will also most likely not be allowed to live in the barracks - or they will charge him per day - you may have to pay for 2 households until he can get a house on base
  5. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #5
    Actually BAH will be based on where HE is since she is making the choice not to move where her husband is assigned.

    OP, yes when you get married and he get you in the system he will be allowed to live off base (on base when you are actually there if you want). The amount he gets will be based on how long he is in, what his rank is, and of course where he is stationed.
  6. You are here.
    Frybread's Avatar
    Frybread is offline
    You are here.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    23,977
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by EU_Queen(89) View Post
    Actually BAH will be based on where HE is since she is making the choice not to move where her husband is assigned.

    OP, yes when you get married and he get you in the system he will be allowed to live off base (on base when you are actually there if you want). The amount he gets will be based on how long he is in, what his rank is, and of course where he is stationed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    the BAH will be for the Duty station - not where you live- he can get on the list for housing and even get a place on base- but once he is assigned a unit the BAH will stop.

    he will also most likely not be allowed to live in the barracks - or they will charge him per day - you may have to pay for 2 households until he can get a house on base
    ditto
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    the BAH will be for the Duty station - not where you live- he can get on the list for housing and even get a place on base- but once he is assigned a unit the BAH will stop.

    he will also most likely not be allowed to live in the barracks - or they will charge him per day - you may have to pay for 2 households until he can get a house on base
    In the AF.. if the spouse isn't there, they won't be authorized to live off base, especially because of rank. They won't let him go until she arrives, at least that's how it has been every base we've been at.
  8. Senior Member
    dekeoboe's Avatar
    dekeoboe is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,834
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    In the AF.. if the spouse isn't there, they won't be authorized to live off base, especially because of rank. They won't let him go until she arrives, at least that's how it has been every base we've been at.
    Interesting, because since he is married, he is authorized BAH with dependents for the duty location, so why would they pay him BAH with dependents and also give him a room in the dorm?
  9. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #9
    Not what I have ever seen. Once married and getting BAH unless it is a remote you live in base housing or off base and if you and your spouse choose to live in separate locations that is a oh well suck it up and make it work situation.
  10. Senior Member
    *Stephanie*'s Avatar
    *Stephanie* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    JBER; Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    16,315
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by EU_Queen(89) View Post
    Not what I have ever seen. Once married and getting BAH unless it is a remote you live in base housing or off base and if you and your spouse choose to live in separate locations that is a oh well suck it up and make it work situation.
    If you have dependents you are given dependent rate for the duty station. He will be made to live off base most likely. They don't care where she lives but he will only get one BAH. It's called geo-baching. Several people on this board are doing it. They can try to pay for two apartments on one BAH with dependents rate. Sometimes people pay to stay in the dorms and send the rest of the BAH to where their spouse lives, it depends 100% on the base though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •