Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: when do you get it?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

when do you get it?

Advertisements
    Pretty much when do you get the pay, and insurance. How long does it take for everything to start? My husband leaves for the army in less than 4 weeks and we have a son who is on medicaid right now. The medicaid ends at the end of may. Will we have insurance by then if he gets there in mid april? I'm not so much worried about me as making sure our son has insurance. And when we do get it can we keep him at the same doctor or will we have to change? also how long does it take to start getting paid? We're living off of our taxes until he then how much will I have to make it last?
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

He will do the paperwork once he gets to basic, depending on when he does it and when it goes through finance, it could be any where from 2-4 weeks, maybe even longer. Once the paperwork is filed, he will send you the paper so that you can go and get your ID card, this will act as your insurance card too.

As far as the your sons dr, depending on the coverage you have and if you are near a base, he may have to change, however remember there is also no guarantee that he will be stationed in your state after basic in which case, if you intend on going with him, you will have to change Drs anyway.

3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Th closest base I think is fort hood and that's about 4 hours from us.
  4. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    Idk any of your financial questions but as farad your son's Dr goes, if they accept tricare or tricare prime you shouldn't have to change.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kate91 View Post
    Pretty much when do you get the pay, and insurance. How long does it take for everything to start? My husband leaves for the army in less than 4 weeks and we have a son who is on medicaid right now. The medicaid ends at the end of may. Will we have insurance by then if he gets there in mid april? I'm not so much worried about me as making sure our son has insurance. And when we do get it can we keep him at the same doctor or will we have to change? also how long does it take to start getting paid? We're living off of our taxes until he then how much will I have to make it last?
    You will need to make those taxes last into May.

He will get paid within the first month he is in boot camp, BUT they take stuff out for various things that are required and they are required to buy there. Approx $250. Maybe more depending on what is needed.

Once he is processed into the system within a couple weeks you will get a packet that will help get you into and any kids into deers and than tricare. If I remember right you go in on standard (co-pay plan) and have to switch to prime (no co-pay) and it takes approx 30 days for that to go through. In which if your dr takes tricare you can stay with your dr. But if you go to prime and there is a military hospital close enough you will most likely be assigned a dr there.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    If Ft Hood is 4 hrs away, my guess is you are near another base. It doesn't have to be army, it can be any branch. There are 2 AF Bases in West Texas, there are 3 AF Bases in San Antonio. A base in El Paso, two bases in Dallas/Ft Worth, one in Witchita Falls. If you are in the Pan Handle, I think there are some near the pan handle. If you are in East Texas, there are also some in Louisiana that may be closer than Hood.

Like PP have said. It could be a month after he gets to basic that you get your first pay check.
  7. Regular Member
    Your four hours from Ft. Hood, are you in Oklahoma? If you are in Oklahoma there are three Air Force Bases (Altus, Tinker, and Vance). At Tinker you can either use the Air Force Personnel Flight or the Navy PSD (Personnel Support Detachment).
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    We are about an hour and a half south of OK. And about 30 min east of dallas.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by kate91 View Post
    We are about an hour and a half south of OK. And about 30 min east of dallas.
    There is a naval reserve base in Dallas, and a Joint Base in Ft Worth (old Carswell - I think its called Ft Worth Naval Air Station maybe?)..

But, there are also many, many doctors in the DFW area that accept Tricare.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for all of this great info! My husband is leaving for boot camp soon & I was curious about when I'll start receiving medical insurance information. Any ideas on expected DHA while he's in boot camp? (Bear with me, this is my first post!) Thank you!!!