Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: About to get married...Need info on fort benning!

1. Bleeding Red, White, And Blue Since The Day I was Born
    Bleeding Red, White, And Blue Since The Day I was Born

About to get married...Need info on fort benning!

Advertisements
    Hi! I'm soon to be Mrs. Amann, and we both are very new to the way marriage works with the military. As some of you may know about Libya (even though right now its air forces only...things change! And hes infantry..) our plans have jumped up from what they have been, and are now running faster than ever.

We are a tad confused on the info we NEED to know: I've already browsed a couple forums (one being especially helpful on the need to know on licenses and such)
    How does military housing work?
    Health insurance aside what are all the benefits as a spouse would I recieve?
    What do I need to do to help him more as a wife?

I want to walk into this with my eyes completely open (he tends not to be so good at retrieveing the info I need, god love him! )

I appreciate all and any helpful comments!

Thanks!
  2. One Day At A Time...
    One Day At A Time...
    Welcome. Make sure you take some time to intorduce yourself to the board.

A few things... I wouldnt let Libya influence your decisions just yet. A lot of things can and will change in the coming days and weeks.

I'm pretty sure that you can't use your last name in your username. Can someone confirm that for me??

When are you planning on getting married?
  3. Live In Love
    Live In Love
    Welcome. First thing, I'd ask a MOD to change your username. it's against TOS to have your last name. I'd also edit it out of your post.

I agree, don't let Lybia influence you just yet. Things change.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

I'm not married so I'll help as much as possible but I know that as soon as you get married, get the marriage certificate and your DF, soon to be DH (dear husband), has to register you for DEERS. i know there's a link on here somewhere but I'm not sure where it is

also, you need to message a moderator and get your name changed. Last names are against TOS due to persec.
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAmann View Post
    Hi! I'm soon to be Mrs. Amann, and we both are very new to the way marriage works with the military. As some of you may know about Libya (even though right now its air forces only...things change! And hes infantry..) our plans have jumped up from what they have been, and are now running faster than ever.

We are a tad confused on the info we NEED to know: I've already browsed a couple forums (one being especially helpful on the need to know on licenses and such)
    How does military housing work?
    Health insurance aside what are all the benefits as a spouse would I recieve?
    What do I need to do to help him more as a wife?

I want to walk into this with my eyes completely open (he tends not to be so good at retrieveing the info I need, god love him! )

I appreciate all and any helpful comments!

Thanks!
    I think your username is a PERSEC violation. They will change that for you.

Housing depends on availability. You could have a week to wait, to perhaps six months, to a year, or longer depending if they have a long wait list. Some bases do, some will put you in a house that is available right then, like a two bed room or a four bedroom. It all depends. Best thin is to call or have him call until you get married and ask how they work (some will let you apply before you get to base but i think you'll have to be an actual dependent first) and see what the wait list is like.

you'll get housing, shopping privileges on base, using MWR programs, and perhaps a few other things. You do know dental is separate from medical, right?

As a wife, idk, it really hasn't changed much from when DH was a civilian to when he was active duty. So idk what to answer you there.