Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pay while at Boot Camp USMC

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Pay while at Boot Camp USMC

Advertisements
    Hi there. I haven't posted in a while just because we're not actually a mililtary family yet, but this question is something I'm hoping you can answer.

DH was talking to his recruiter (plz no "all recruiters lie" shots here, the guy has been pretty straight with us from the beginning, this is the first thing that he couldn't really answer for us) about pay while at BC and getting it sent home to us. (Me, DD, and soon to be baby #2 in August). His recruiter was telling him that only a certian amount could be sent home (not much, I think that when DH read up on it it was like $250) each month, not his entire pay check. Now, I understand that there are things he will have to buy while there like soap and what not, but we were under the impression that aside from the lag time it could take before his first check gets to us, we could be living off of what he is making. Is this not the case?

To clarify, I'm wanting to know if ALL of his paycheck can be deposited into a bank account of his choice, or if only a certain amount will be sent home along with BAH?

Thanks to anyone who made it through that ramble.
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    To my knowledge, it gets deposited into a bank of his choice. He won't need much money while in basic. The $250 sounds like the recruiter may be talking about separation pay.

Maybe someone has more recent knowledge.
  3. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Yes, all of his paycheck can be deposited into a bank account of his choice.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thanks for your responses. I'm hoping that I can get more of the same. I'm wondering why it is that this can't seem to be confirmed! We hear from a lot of people that we need to save up before hand, but geez, that's much easier said that done. What DH makes now is what we need, and I'm a SAHM with another one on the way so working won't work for us. I need a definite answer from someone who can make it happen, but they all seem to be clueless on any updated policies.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    So DH talked to MCRD in San Diego. He got passed around like a football before he found a Lance Corporal in RAB who could answer our question. He said DH would be able to set up direct deposit in boot camp to his personal bank account so that I could access it back home. He said it was common practice but "it is a privilege, not a right" so he shouldn't consider it a 100% guarantee.

So now we need a contingency plan. Not sure how we're even going to cover the first month before he gets any pay, so anything after that would be extremely difficult. I had finally accepted that this is really happening and it's the life we're choosing. I was getting excited about it, actually, and now...this.
  6. You are here.
    You are here.
    eh, i think the Lance Corporal may be new or something. Yes, as long as your DH fills out the direct deposit to that account at that bank correctly, I would just assume it will be there. Unless he chooses another bank, or the numbers are entered incorrectly, where else would the money go?
  7. HardxCore New Yorker.
    HardxCore New Yorker.
    I'm not sure about the pay while at bootcamp for a married Marine...

But please take my advice. I don't care how nice his recruiter may seem please do no anticipate things to go as he planned.
    My husband did, and he got screwed, big time. He guy was the nicest and seems to have all of his information straight. He's ever won recruiter of the year like 4 times...
    And my husband, and the people he left with as well, had gotten screwed...
    I'm not trying to scare you, just know shit happens and what the USMC says... goes...
    -Brittni

Together since December 15th, 2003. Married since August 8th, 2009
  8. Nie
    his pay will be deposited into his bank of choice but the comment about saving up is because it takes sometimes up to 4 weeks (sometimes longer) for his pay to actually deposit.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Here is the deal: His pay will be direct deposited into whatever account he chooses. The catch is, a lot of guys forget to bring their bank info, and end up being forced to set up a account at a different bank. They have to set it up that day, there is no time to call home and get the info. As far as actually getting the pay, sometimes it takes a month just to get the regular pay to start depositing. It can take even longer to get BAH set up. He will get all the money eventually, it will just take a while. They also take money out of the first check for a long list of items he needs while he is there. That makes the first check pretty small. So yes, start saving up every penny you can just in case. You never know how long these things are going to take.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nie View Post
    his pay will be deposited into his bank of choice but the comment about saving up is because it takes sometimes up to 4 weeks (sometimes longer) for his pay to actually deposit.
    See, that's what we thought, but his recruiter didn't seem to have a clue as to what we were talking about. And the Lance Corpral just said it's the most likely scenario, but not guaranteed. So, we only need to really worry about saving for that first month?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast