Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Claiming parents as dependents?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Claiming parents as dependents?

Advertisements
    My father recently took a forced early retirement due to the conditions in Mexico (both of my parents are legal U.S. Citizens). Being that he is already 68 years old, and has always owned and run his own businesses it is unlikely that he would find suitable employment and they do not qualify for SS benefits. For now my parents are living off of savings and what myself and my sisters give them.

Currently I'm only able to give them about 1/4th of my income. However, once DH and I are living in the same house and I only have to worry about maintaining one house, I plan to take over the household bills that my parents have. In essence I would be providing well over 50% of their living expenses to help their savings last longer. Once this has occurred for an entire year, I know I can claim them on my income taxes as dependents.

Would DH be able to claim them as his dependents as well (military wise)? If so would they be eligible for any benefits?

I only ask because I plan on putting them on my own health insurance plan ASAP. However if they would be eligible at that time to receive tricare even at a discounted rate, that would ease some of the financial burden.

TIA.
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Don't believe they will receive tricare and I also think they have to be living with you full time.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Senior Member
    The only thing I know of (as far as claiming any dependents that aren't your spouse or children) is the Exceptional Family Member program, but I think they have to have special needs.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    you can have them added in 6 months- it is no longer a yr-

they will not get tricare- they can be seen on a space a basis at an MTF only- there is no monetary benefits to adding them- unless you move and then you can get per diem for them if they move with you- but nothing extra to set them up in a new home.
    adding them as dep will also afford them base privledges- ie: commisary exchange and other amenities.

it is easier if they live with you then you do not have to wait the 6 months to show proof of support
  5. Senior Member
    I'm curious why they are not eligible for SS benefits. You said they are legal US citizens so are they legal but have the business in Mexico?

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  6. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveChildOfDudi View Post
    Don't believe they will receive tricare and I also think they have to be living with you full time.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you can have them added in 6 months- it is no longer a yr-

they will not get tricare- they can be seen on a space a basis at an MTF only- there is no monetary benefits to adding them- unless you move and then you can get per diem for them if they move with you- but nothing extra to set them up in a new home.
    adding them as dep will also afford them base privledges- ie: commisary exchange and other amenities.

it is easier if they live with you then you do not have to wait the 6 months to show proof of support

ditto
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

There is a lot more involved than just adding them as dependants, they have to be living with you, these 2links may be able to help you better

http://www.usagschinnen.eur.army.mil..._dependent.pdf
    Does TRICARE Offer Coverage to Dependent Parents and Parents-in-law? - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    I'm curious why they are not eligible for SS benefits. You said they are legal US citizens so are they legal but have the business in Mexico?
    Me too?
    If they were US Businesses they are required by law to pay into SS. But they are old enough for Medicare as well. If they are US Citizens they get medicare starting @ 65.

Have they tried to apply for social security? That starts @ 63.