Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: health insurance after active?

  1. He comes home verrry soon!!
    Midnight26's Avatar
    Midnight26 is offline
    He comes home verrry soon!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    919
    #1

    health insurance after active?

    Advertisements
    So my DF is on deployment, but when he gets back he will no longer be active duty. his contract us up. (active 5 years). He has to complete 3 years reserves to finish out his 8 year contract.

    as a reserve, will he still get health insurance? We're planning to get married, and I was wondering if we should get married sooner so he can get my insurance if he winds up losing his.


    TIA!
  2. The Decider
    Brianna Banana's Avatar
    Brianna Banana is offline
    The Decider
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    12,773
    Blog Entries
    1
    #2
    He will not have insurance in the inactive reserves. If he chooses to go Active reserves, he can purchase insurance.

    Depending on his income, he may also qualify for free services at any VA hospital.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

    My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!


    Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    His*PITA*'s Avatar
    His*PITA* is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over a rainbow
    Posts
    69,415

    #3
  4. He comes home verrry soon!!
    Midnight26's Avatar
    Midnight26 is offline
    He comes home verrry soon!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    919
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    He will not have insurance in the inactive reserves. If he chooses to go Active reserves, he can purchase insurance.

    Depending on his income, he may also qualify for free services at any VA hospital.
    oh boy, I feel a little stupid, sorry.....could you explain the differences between active reserves and inactive reserves?
  5. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    KarmaRocks's Avatar
    KarmaRocks is offline
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,212
    #5
    Active reserves drill once a month .... inactive don't. They are just on the list to be called if needed until they finish their commitment.





    "Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  6. He comes home verrry soon!!
    Midnight26's Avatar
    Midnight26 is offline
    He comes home verrry soon!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    919
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    thanks, these are helpful to sort things out
  7. The Decider
    Brianna Banana's Avatar
    Brianna Banana is offline
    The Decider
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    12,773
    Blog Entries
    1
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight26 View Post
    oh boy, I feel a little stupid, sorry.....could you explain the differences between active reserves and inactive reserves?
    No worries! You're not stupid at all.

    Active reserves are the "weekend warriors." One weekend a month + two weeks a year.

    Inactive ready reserves (IRR) is what he will probably be doing. He can live where ever he wants, do whatever he wants, doesn't have to answer to the military on any regular basis, but can still be recalled.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

    My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!


    Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  8. He comes home verrry soon!!
    Midnight26's Avatar
    Midnight26 is offline
    He comes home verrry soon!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    919
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
    Active reserves drill once a month .... inactive don't. They are just on the list to be called if needed until they finish their commitment.
    oh ok, so does he have a choice which he does? or does his contract probably specify? (i'd ask him but i get a phone call every 3 weeks here, love deployment lol)

    he mentioned before he left they wont even make him drill or do anything really. just ride out the time. so i'm assuming that sounds like inactive.
  9. He comes home verrry soon!!
    Midnight26's Avatar
    Midnight26 is offline
    He comes home verrry soon!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    919
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    No worries! You're not stupid at all.

    Active reserves are the "weekend warriors." One weekend a month + two weeks a year.

    Inactive ready reserves (IRR) is what he will probably be doing. He can live where ever he wants, do whatever he wants, doesn't have to answer to the military on any regular basis, but can still be recalled.
    unless theres wwIII I hope he never ever has to get recalled!!
  10. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    KarmaRocks's Avatar
    KarmaRocks is offline
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,212
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight26 View Post
    oh ok, so does he have a choice which he does? or does his contract probably specify? (i'd ask him but i get a phone call every 3 weeks here, love deployment lol)

    he mentioned before he left they wont even make him drill or do anything really. just ride out the time. so i'm assuming that sounds like inactive.
    Yes, he has a choice. If he drills he gets paid so it's extra pocket money, but he also has a great chance of getting deployed again.





    "Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •