Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recover from Surgery On-Base or At Home?

1. Writer + Author + Future Yoga Teacher
    Writer + Author + Future Yoga Teacher

Whatever Recover from Surgery On-Base or At Home?

Advertisements
    I'm 95% sure I know the answer to this question (the usual N-O, haha), but I'm going to ask anyway (out of sheer curiosity).

My husband is meeting with a surgeon this afternoon. He is @ 29 Palms for MOS school, but has not started class yet. Roughly 2 weeks ago, he found out he has a hernia. He has had the hernia since before he started boot camp in September 2010 & it doesn't cause him any pain. We know he will have to have surgery eventually to fix it, which will force him into 1 month of bed rest.

Today, hubby will find out if he needs to have the surgery ASAP or if it can wait until after he finished MOS school & reports to his duty station.

My question is this: if he must have the surgery ASAP, is there any chance that he would be able to come home & recover here for a month, or (more likely) will he be required to stay on-base? Naturally, I'd love to see him, but I'm pretty sure they will want to keep him on-base for follow-up appointments ... etc. Also, I doubt he would be able to do RA (Recruiter's Assistance; since he is technically on bed rest), and that's one of the only reasons I know of that allows him to come home.

I know he'd go stir-crazy lying around base for a month, not doing much, but if that is what happens, we just have to go with it.
    He's already been there for a month, waiting for class to start, & he's getting really irritated.
    We think that the hernia is listed in his record & that might be what is keeping him from starting class (since they don't have an official word on whether or not he is having surgery yet). Otherwise, by all accounts, he should have started already - Active Duty 0621s that arrived AFTER he did have already started.
    Victoria :: Proud Wife of LCpl Jon ("Papa Bear" "Mad Dog" "That Guy")

2. Senior Member
    Hun, take out all the personal info in your siggy!

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  3. Writer + Author + Future Yoga Teacher
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    Hun, take out all the personal info in your siggy!
    Do I have to? No one has told me to remove it before It's the same siggy info I use on other forums.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

OP You don't have too but just remember PERSEC. That is alot of information.
  5. Writer + Author + Future Yoga Teacher
    Quote Originally Posted by FROGLOVE View Post
    OP You don't have too but just remember PERSEC. That is alot of information.
    True true, I'll go adjust the info now

6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    My guess is they won't let him go to you, especially if he has to get on a plane. I doubt they would let him sit on a plane ride for hours on end, especially with a hernia. I assume this would be a back surgery, and that usually requires laying flat on your back during recovery. And he would most likely have to go in for check=ups weekly or every couple weeks until they give him the go ahead. And for him to go home would be leave, and I don't think they are authorized leave during what technically is his MOS training time, even if he hasn't started yet.
  7. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine had hernia surgery and was sent home for 6 months, but that was in the middle of boot camp.

I *think* he would be allowed to come home, since they allow other people home on convalescent leave. But it would be best to check with his head honcho.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  8. Writer + Author + Future Yoga Teacher
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    My guess is they won't let him go to you, especially if he has to get on a plane. I doubt they would let him sit on a plane ride for hours on end, especially with a hernia. I assume this would be a back surgery, and that usually requires laying flat on your back during recovery. And he would most likely have to go in for check=ups weekly or every couple weeks until they give him the go ahead. And for him to go home would be leave, and I don't think they are authorized leave during what technically is his MOS training time, even if he hasn't started yet.
    A very good point! Actually, I'll be staying in San Diego for the next few months (leaving CT in 8 days!), so I could come & pick him up, eliminating the flight issue.

The surgery is actually on his groin, so I'm not sure if he will have to lie flat during recovery, but he definitely won't be able to do any physical activity like lifting weights or running. Naturally, they won't let him start MOS class while he is recovering either.

We'll see what happens!

9. Writer + Author + Future Yoga Teacher
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    A friend of mine had hernia surgery and was sent home for 6 months, but that was in the middle of boot camp.

I *think* he would be allowed to come home, since they allow other people home on convalescent leave. But it would be best to check with his head honcho.
    Wow - 6 months! Maybe your friend had a really hardcore hernia. My husband's is very basic; the simplest & most common kind. I'm honestly surprised that they didn't say anything about it during his medical exams at boot camp or MCT, but I guess they weren't that worried about it either.

I learned about convalescent leave on another forum & told my husband about it. If he finds out today that he must have the surgery soon, he's going to ask about convalescent leave right away. There seems to be a lot of factors on getting approved for convalescrent leave, but it's worth looking into.

10. Writer + Author + Future Yoga Teacher
    In case anyone is curious, hubby has surgery on March 11th & will be on bed rest for 2 weeks afterward (then, possibly, 2 weeks of light duty).
    He's putting in a request for convalescent leave either today or tomorrow - fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast