Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DADT Marriage question

1. Oh hot damn, I get a custom title?
    Oh hot damn, I get a custom title?

DADT Marriage question

Advertisements
    So if married in a state that allows it, will the military recognize marriages with the newly repealed DADT laws (once they go into effect, of course)?
  2. Senior Member
    From what I have read (in Stars and Stripes) no. As of right now there is no marital benefits in a same sex marriage. I am not sure how they are going to adjust that in the future.

Life is a great big canvas, throw all the paint you can at it~ Danny Kaye
  3. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Did they repeal the Marriage Protection Act yet? Because constitutionally, you have to recognize marriages from one state to another. All documents are supposed to transfer (driver's licenses, birth certificates, ect.) Hopefully, if they repeal that, then not only will the US Government need to recognize gay marriage, then the military would too.

AHHHHHH, don't make that a debate. Wrong forum. Just trying to provide the OP with information. And possibly hope for the future.
  4. Oh hot damn, I get a custom title?
    I really hope so, it'd be nice. I'm completely in the dark about all of this!
  5. Just another guy
    Just another guy
    As of now you can't get the benefits like on base housing and stuff. Itll take some time.
  6. Senior Member

I agree, it will take time. I am thinking as long as there are states that do not allow same sex marriage, the DoD will not recognize it either.
  7. Oh hot damn, I get a custom title?
    Ohh, that'll make things fun for my future. It's alright, I'll figure something out. Always do. It's definitely a shame, though! I'm glad I've got a place to ask questions where there are knowledgeable people. Thank you guys.
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yeah I think basically as of now the only real change is you can't get discharged for being married to someone of the same sex. Which is awesome in and of itself, I agree the other changes will take time. But hopefully not too much time!
  9. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    I don't think so. With DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act), states don't have to recognize same sex marriage because it defines marriage as between man and woman. Since that's federal, I don't see the military recognizing the marriages any time soon. From what I understand, they don't recognize them in the federal government either.

DADT allowed them to be open about sexuality, but it didn't mean they had to recognize the marriages.

I'm not saying that its right or wrong...that's just what I understand.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    There is no Same Sex Marriage in the military or the US. There are a few states that perform wedding ceremonies, but the marriage only valid in that state, as soon as you cross any state line, you are not married.

Many statees have ammended their constitutions to say Marriage is between a man and a woman, and those states sill not recognize that ceremony as a legal and binding marriage.

There is no plan in the works for out Military for benfits, even though they may delare DADT null and void. Concering housing, insurance, Dependant ID's and priveledges, that is not going to happen any time soon, certainly not at this time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast