Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Living on Base?? Good or Bad?

1. Regular Member

Living on Base?? Good or Bad?

Advertisements
    So i know everything has its pros and cons but i would love to hear you input on living on a base with your SO.
  2. Moderator

I have lived in military housing, but not on an actual military facility. Having utilities covered was really nice (though that is not always the case). Also, where we lived, because of the incredible expense of housing we were able to live in a much larger home than we could afford outside of military housing (and it wasn't all that large either ). Those were the major benefits for us- there may be more to living within the actual gates of the military installation, but I'll let others cover that. We prefer to live on the economy.
  3. Senior Member
    We've lived in base 3 times at all 3 of the bases we've been at. We love it. dh's close to work, we've got everything on base we need IF we don't want to go out in town. So far the BAH is has gotten us more than what we would have out in town. We just really would rather live in housing than rent a house.

4. Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    Honestly, depends on the base. Ive lived here at Offutt most of my life, and honestly prefer to NOT live on base. Not that its a bad place to live, just that I prefer to not have to keep up with their standards. Plus, since we have a house that is less than what his BAH is, were able to pay all our bills with that as well. Its pretty sweet.
    Women are not the weak, frail little flowers that they are advertised. There has never been anything invented yet, including war, that a man would enter into, that a woman wouldn't, too. --Will Rogers

Sometimes damaged goods are more valuable because of their unique qualities.

FOLLOW OPSEC PLEASE!!!!!
  5. I will bite your nipples!
    I will bite your nipples!

We lived in Japan for 4yrs and I HATED base housing. To close of quarters AND people just let their kids run wild because we were on base. Children had no boundaries and were just like a wild herd of bulls

We did save a ton of $$$$ (mil to mil) but we don't ever plan to take base housing again... EVER.
    God called...he wants his judgment back!!!

Never allow someone else's limited vision to limit yours

Don't cry to give up...cry to keep going

6. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Depends on what base it is. And if it off base or on base
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  7. Senior Member
    We lived in base housing up until a couple months ago. We didn't like the apartments we were in.
    The housing here in San Diego isn't actually on base.

I am really happy with where we live now, it's so much nicer. But, I will also be happy whenever we get to move back into housing. It's really convenient not having to deal with rent or utilities.
  8. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieGrl View Post
    Honestly, depends on the base. Ive lived here at Offutt most of my life, and honestly prefer to NOT live on base. Not that its a bad place to live, just that I prefer to not have to keep up with their standards. Plus, since we have a house that is less than what his BAH is, were able to pay all our bills with that as well. Its pretty sweet.

This.

Check out the company that holds the base housing laws/regulations and see if you want to keep up with them.
  9. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
    Depends on the base. With exDH I lived on Riley. Everything being covered is great. Stay out of the drama and keep to yourself and it's awesome. You will always have people who want "in your biz" that have nothing better to do...that was the only thing I really hated. Other than that it was nice.
  10. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieGrl View Post
    ditto.....five duty stations and we've never lived on base. But i'm dreading number six, apparently per DH we will have to live on base and I'm just not looking forward to that at all. I'm dreading it. Especially the way he says we'll have the base "upper caste" dropping in constantly in to 'socialize'.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast