Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Program for spouse that sees a Specialist?

  1. Regular Member
    Lisajolie's Avatar
    Lisajolie is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    #1

    Program for spouse that sees a Specialist?

    Advertisements
    My hubby went to BCT little over 2 weeks ago and when he enrolled me in DEERS, he said, the lady had him read a paper about family members seeing a specialist. She told him, if I had a specialist I saw at least 2 times a year and had to take my medicine everyday, we would always be based only one state away from my specialist, is this correct?

    I haven't been to see him in a few years due to loosing my insurance when my ex left my daughter and I. Without too many details, I just didn't have the money to pay for testing, doctors visits, and medicines I needed. I am severely chemically sensitive and only about 5 Doctors in the U.S. that can treat me.

    He said, for me to go see my Specialist soon as possible so he can enroll me in that program. Does this sound correct to any of you and would I need a letter from my Doctor to send to him? What program is he talking about, special needs?
    Lisa Jolie
  2. Senior Member
    KristenM's Avatar
    KristenM is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ft. Rucker, AL
    Posts
    3,879
    #2
    Sounds like he's talking about EFMP...and yes if someone is enrolled then they will send you places where you have access to a specialist in the area. I dont believe that a letter from your doctor is needed, I'm pretty sure the military will do their own testing though...they always do.
  3. Regular Member
    Lisajolie's Avatar
    Lisajolie is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by KristenM View Post
    Sounds like he's talking about EFMP...and yes if someone is enrolled then they will send you places where you have access to a specialist in the area. I dont believe that a letter from your doctor is needed, I'm pretty sure the military will do their own testing though...they always do.
    After some more research I did find information on EFMP. I'm sure this is the program he is talking about too. Thank you for your help.
    Lisa Jolie
  4. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #4
    Yeah. And if there are only 5 drs that can help treat you, he is now severely restricted on where he can be assigned.

    But health comes first.
  5. Senior Member
    *Stephanie*'s Avatar
    *Stephanie* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    JBER; Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    16,315
    #5
    Yes, its the EFMP program.
  6. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #6
    yes it is the EMFP== and with your special needs it will severely limit where he can go-

    also with this expect him to do some unaccompanied overseas tours- you will not be allowed to go.
  7. Regular Member
    Lisajolie's Avatar
    Lisajolie is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    yes it is the EMFP== and with your special needs it will severely limit where he can go-

    also with this expect him to do some unaccompanied overseas tours- you will not be allowed to go.
    Yes, I read where I wouldn't be able to go overseas, but from what I can gather, he would only be unaccompanied overseas for no more than 12 months. Excludes deplyoments..

    It's not that we can't be stationed anywhere in the U.S. because that'd be o.k. with us. I can and would make the trips back to visit the Doctor when I need to. It's just only a hand full can make the medicine that I need, which he mails to me anyway. He has his own lab that prepares the medicines I have to take. They can't be purchased at a pharmacy, they are specifically made to my sensitivities.

    Currently I am in the state below him and have a 5 hour drive to visit him. Sometimes, I might have to go every 2 weeks for months, then it lvls out to 3-4 trips a year for testing. We are currently in the south and anywhere in the south or S.E. would be helpful.
    Lisa Jolie
  8. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisajolie View Post
    Yes, I read where I wouldn't be able to go overseas, but from what I can gather, he would only be unaccompanied overseas for no more than 12 months. Excludes deplyoments..

    It's not that we can't be stationed anywhere in the U.S. because that'd be o.k. with us. I can and would make the trips back to visit the Doctor when I need to. It's just only a hand full can make the medicine that I need, which he mails to me anyway. He has his own lab that prepares the medicines I have to take. They can't be purchased at a pharmacy, they are specifically made to my sensitivities.

    Currently I am in the state below him and have a 5 hour drive to visit him. Sometimes, I might have to go every 2 weeks for months, then it lvls out to 3-4 trips a year for testing. We are currently in the south and anywhere in the south or S.E. would be helpful.

    the unaccompanied tours are actually up to 2 yrs long- not 12 months.

    where you will go will depend on what is avail for his job ( MOS)

    EMFP does not work that way- they will look for dr's that can take care of your issues- and will not say- well you can fly across country to get care- they will control where you go and when and you will not have too much say in it.
    th one down fall for the EMFP program- but they do that to protect the member and the family.

    I see he is army- and the unaccompanied tours are 2 yrs.
  9. Regular Member
    Lisajolie's Avatar
    Lisajolie is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    the unaccompanied tours are actually up to 2 yrs long- not 12 months.

    where you will go will depend on what is avail for his job ( MOS)

    EMFP does not work that way- they will look for dr's that can take care of your issues- and will not say- well you can fly across country to get care- they will control where you go and when and you will not have too much say in it.
    th one down fall for the EMFP program- but they do that to protect the member and the family.

    I see he is army- and the unaccompanied tours are 2 yrs.
    Yes, I know unaccompanied tours are 2 yrs. I was reading on the EFMP site itself and I misunderstood the Humanitarian Deferment. I thought it included unaccompanied tours too.

    It says, under the Humanitarian Deferment, the AD member can ask for deferment of assignment and/or for assignment nearest to family member and these assignments wouldn't be for more than 12 months. I misunderstood and thanks for correcting that for me.
    Lisa Jolie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •