Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I enroll in DEERS?

1. Regular Member

How do I enroll in DEERS?

Advertisements
    DH said I need to enroll but, I have no idea how to even start. How do I enroll in DEERS?
  2. Senior Member
    I am pretty sure he has to do that.
  3. long hair...don't care!
    long hair...don't care!
    ^
    lovemyJR, armywifey514, ~*Krys*~, HayleysComet, Kaj0629, Theresa913, and LES210 are my sister wives. Cheat is our manwife.

4. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

That's on him.

5. Senior Member
    Beneficiary Home

DEERS

You must be registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) to be eligible for TRICARE.

DEERS is a worldwide, computerized database of uniformed services members (sponsors), their family members, and others who are eligible for military benefits, including TRICARE. All sponsors are automatically registered in DEERS. However, the sponsor must register eligible family members. Family members can update personal information such as addresses and phone numbers once they are registered in DEERS.

Note: Addresses must be a physical address; P.O. boxes cannot be used. Additionally, if both parents are service members, then either parent (must choose one) may be listed as the child(ren)'s sponsor in DEERS
    Moving? Getting married? Having a baby?

Be sure to update your information in DEERS every time it changes. Visit the DEERS Website now!
    Don't forget the family!

Enrollment in DEERS is the key to using TRICARE benefits. The sponsor must enroll their family members. When there is a change in information, each family member's eligibility record must be updated separately. Visit the DEERS Website now!

Last Modified:September 16, 2010

Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) - Military Benefits - Military.com

Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)

If you are a servicemember, retiree, or dependent, DEERS registration is the key to getting your TRICARE benefits eligibility established. DEERS is a computerized database of military sponsors, families and others worldwide who are entitled under the law to TRICARE benefits. The following overview will assist you in registering for DEERS and verifying and updating your DEERS information.

* Registration in DEERS
    * Verifying and Updating DEERS Information
    * Things to Keep in Mind

Registration in DEERS

Active-duty and retired service members are automatically registered in DEERS, but they must take action to register their family members and ensure they're correctly entered into the database. Mistakes in the DEERS database can cause problems with TRICARE claims, so it is critical to maintain your DEERS information.

Verifying and Updating DEERS Information

You can verify your DEERS information by contacting your regional TRICARE managed care support contractor, your local TRICARE service center or the nearest uniformed services personnel office (ID card facility). Sponsors or registered family members may make address changes, however, only the sponsor can add or delete a family member from DEERS, and proper documents are required such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree and/or birth certificate. To update your DEERS information:

* Visit your local uniformed services personnel office or contact the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) at 1-800-538-9552. You can find the nearest uniformed services personnel office at: RAPIDS SITE LOCATOR.

* Fax address changes to DEERS at 1-831-655-8317.

* Mail the address change to the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office, ATTN: COA, 400 Gigling Road, Seaside, CA 93955-6771.

* Go online to Tricare to update your information: DEERS.

Things to Keep in Mind:

* Each family member's eligibility record must be updated separately when changes occur.

* Any changes that impact you or your family (e.g., marriage, birth, divorce, death) need to be reported to DEERS so that eligibility can start or stop under DoD and Service guidance.

o If you are active duty and re-enlist, separate, retire, or move, make sure your information gets updated in DEERS as soon as possible. If you do not, you and your family might experience a break in eligibility, which means a break in health care coverage.

o As soon as you re-enlist, take your reenlistment paper to your personnel support center or ID card facility so your information can be updated before your previous enlistment expires rather than waiting for the paperwork to go through distribution.
    * Once you retire, you need to make sure DEERS reflects your change from active duty to retiree status.

Note: If you or your family were previously TRICARE Prime under your active duty status, you need to re-enroll in TRICARE Prime under your retiree status. Contact the regional managed care support contractor (MCSC) in your retirement location to find out if TRICARE Prime is offered in your retirement area ZIP code.

o It is important to update your and your family's home addresses because TRICARE Program information will be sent to that address.

o Retail network pharmacies check TRICARE eligibility through DEERS. Your prescriptions will be filled only if you are in the system.

o If you have a child that is over age 21 and a full-time student, you need to get his or her student status entered into DEERS so that TRICARE eligibility is not interrupted and access to health care is not lost.

o If you or a family member is Medicare-eligible, entitled to Part A and enrolled in Part B, DEERS must be updated to reflect MEDICARE Part A and B status to retain TRICARE coverage. When you turn 65, the medical section of your military ID card may also need to be updated.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  6. Senior Member
    DEERS Basics

What is DEERS?

The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Report System or DEERS records and tracks the eligibility of military benefits, including TRICARE, for active duty and retired service members and their eligible dependants. Service members are automatically enrolled in the system. Dependants must be manually enrolled and all changes in eligibility tracked.

How do I enroll in DEERS?

Only the sponsor may add or delete a family member from DEERS, and proper documents are required such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree and/or birth certificate.

Can I update my DEERS information and how?

A service member or registered dependant may update DEERS in one of several ways.

• Visit your local uniformed services personnel office or contact the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) at 1-800-538-9552. You can find the nearest uniformed services personnel office at this site.

• Fax address changes to DEERS at 1-831-655-8317.

• Mail the address change to the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office, ATTN: COA, 400 Gigling Road, Seaside, CA 93955-6771.

• Go online at DEERS to Address or update your information.

What do I do if my spouse will not enroll my child or me in DEERS?

Solo-Ops recommends the following steps if you are having difficulty obtaining DEERS enrollment because your spouse is unwilling or unable to do so.

1. Make all attempts to contact your spouse to correct the issue. It is important you know any further action you take could adversely affect his career should his command determine he has neglected to provide for his family. Make sure your spouse understands if he or she is unable to complete the necessary paperwork you will be forced to take other actions.

2. Contact your FRG, command ombudsman or key volunteer. Do not contact the command directly. Just as your soldier or sailor has a chain of command to follow, so do you. The ombudsman will work on your behalf to correct the issue.

3. If the ombudsman or key volunteer is unable to assist you, contact the chaplain or the local legal assistance office. Again, they will work on your behalf to correct the issue.

4. Only as a last resort should you contact your spouse’s command directly. Before doing this, make sure you have exhausted all other options. In addition, it is often a good idea to document all previous attempts you have made to correct the issue. The more detailed your information, the easier it will be for your spouse’s command to take corrective action.

When contacting the command, deal in facts only and only with the facts surrounding this issue. Request to speak to your spouse’s direct supervisor. If this person is unable to help you, request to speak to their supervisor. You may need to speak to several people before the issue is corrected. However, the Executive Officer or Commanding Officer should be the last people to explain your situation to. We can not stress enough for you to understand that this should be a last resort only, contacting the service member’s command may affect performance reviews and/or lead to disciplinary action.

5. Finally, if all else fails you may contact the American Red Cross. This may be necessary if the service member is deployed.

Who do I contact with additional questions?

If you have additional questions not answered by the Knowledge Center please contact your local uniformed services personnel office or the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office at 1-800-538-9552.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  7. my soldier, my hero, my husband, my life
    my soldier, my hero, my husband, my life
    DH and I married a month before he went to basic. About 2 weeks after he got there I received my DEERS enrollment form that he had filled out and had to have signatures of his commanders or something. When I received it, I had to take it to the nearest military installation, DEERS and ID cards office. It was pretty simple.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    I agree, that's all on him!
  9. Regular Member
    Okay, So I have my ID already. So I should be enrolled already. Thank you so much. I'm just so confused on everything and every time I get a letter from DH, I have to do something else or make sure it's done. And most of it I can't do, so I freak out a little.... Thank you so much guys!
  10. Senior Member
    I think you have to be enrolled in DEERS to get your ID. My mind is not working in my favor today otherwise I would say whether for sure or not.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast