Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newly married to a Marine! <3

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Wow Newly married to a Marine! <3

Advertisements
    Hello!

I'd love to get some advice on how to process a new marriage. What are the first steps? What are the benefits? How do I receive those benefits? How about taxes? We got married in January does that change my taxes? What about insurance? I'm a little lost. I'm in the beginning stages, recorded our marriage license, changing my name tomorrow, new ss card, all that. I just want someone who has been through it to give me some pointers. Either on here or on my page! Thanks so much!

Caitlin

2. Senior Member

First thing your spouse needs to enroll you into DEERS in order for you to get an ID card and get Tricare. I am not sure about taxes.
    https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/deerswebsite/home.do
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    First thing your spouse needs to enroll you into DEERS in order for you to get an ID card and get Tricare. I am not sure about taxes.
    DEERS and Tricare are the first things to do after your SS card! You would need to update your tax status has changed with your employer for 2011, but your taxes for 2010 will still be single.

You also need to look into getting a base pass for your car, and he needs to go to IPAC to get you on his orders or something ( I'm not sure why... but I know he has to go update it with them.)

Then if you are getting housing, you need to go to the base housing office.

Also.. not militarywise but just in general... you need to change your name on your credit cards, bank accounts, car insurance, and title/registration on your car...

I JUST did all this stuff last month, so if you have any questions ask!
  4. Senior Member
    what she said
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    Yeah, easier said than done. First you need certified marriage certificate and birth certificate. We waited 2 weeks for ours. Then you hit IPAC for pay adjustment. Then you can hit DEERS. We got IPAC done, but still waiting a month later for her to great a break at her office and a ride to go do that final step. We may have to burn another leave day to have her get to DEERS (like we did when we went to get marriage license). Personally I think if they are required to work 7:30-5:00, then DEERS should have weekend or evening hours.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
    Yeah, easier said than done. First you need certified marriage certificate and birth certificate. We waited 2 weeks for ours. Then you hit IPAC for pay adjustment. Then you can hit DEERS. We got IPAC done, but still waiting a month later for her to great a break at her office and a ride to go do that final step. We may have to burn another leave day to have her get to DEERS (like we did when we went to get marriage license). Personally I think if they are required to work 7:30-5:00, then DEERS should have weekend or evening hours.
    The line at DEERS isn't the shortest... but we went there first. And yes, you do need your birth certificate, and your marriage license. But that is where you get your ID, and then they send you to the tricare office from there. He can do IPAC on his own... at least my DH did.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dixiegal View Post
    The line at DEERS isn't the shortest... but we went there first. And yes, you do need your birth certificate, and your marriage license. But that is where you get your ID, and then they send you to the tricare office from there. He can do IPAC on his own... at least my DH did.
    Nice. Sadly we are still waiting for her office to allow her a lighter load day to go to DEERS, if by end January she can't get there she will use a hate-to-burn-only-have-few leave day to do it. I think DEERS should have weekend hours or one evening a week.
  8. Senior Member
    Darkman - have you called to office to find out what paperwork they need to enroll you in DEERS? Is is possible for her to fill out and sign the proper paperwork and then you to get enrolled without her there? I thought that is how the airmen in basic get their spouses enrolled - they fill out the paperwork, send it home and the spouses go to their local office to get their ID.
  9. Regular Member
    Congrats on your marriage!

Basically what everyone else said lol. But in regards to your taxes, no, they won't change. I got married on December 30th and even though there were only 2 days (including that one) left in 2010, we were told we can file for taxes as joint and my DH could claim me as an independent. Financially, it usually helps. If we would have waited in January, we wouldn't have been able to do that.

I my soldier!
  10. Arianna is my Angel!
    Arianna is my Angel!
    Blog Entries
    I got mine all done in one day and I didnt have my Birth cert..we just walked in with our marriage licence and did it..Dh deployed the next morning at 5am..We went to Deers with our marriage cert signed some papers, went to Ipac to do his will and stuff, went to legal to get a POA(which makes it easier for you to get paper work done if he/she is not there). went to Tricare which is the same place as the car decals and ID's. Caitlin your on Pendelton, everything is across the street from each other on mainside. Gpac isover by the motor pool on the way to the naval wepons. deers is the building at the coorner of rattlesnake canyon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast