Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: crazy situation..

  1. Junior Member
    malyriv's Avatar
    malyriv is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fort Hood, Texas
    Posts
    48
    Blog Entries
    4
    #1

    Bang Head crazy situation..

    Advertisements
    I have a 29 year old sister who will be coming to move in with me and my SO. She will be having surgery on her face because of a very violent relationship. During an MRI they found something on her brain that may be cancer. She has 4 kids no job since she was pretty much forbidden to get a job. We are taking them all in but i was wondering is there a way to get her enrolled in tricare and deers since she really isnt able to take care of herself and her kids. I know that there is a way i just dont know where to start looking. I know that i have known people in the past that were able to get a family member enrolled when they had health problems. please if you have any info on this i would really appreciate the info being passed on.
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Sally's Avatar
    Sally is offline
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Korea, Osan AB
    Posts
    19,380
    Blog Entries
    17
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by malyriv View Post
    I have a 29 year old sister who will be coming to move in with me and my SO. She will be having surgery on her face because of a very violent relationship. During an MRI they found something on her brain that may be cancer. She has 4 kids no job since she was pretty much forbidden to get a job. We are taking them all in but i was wondering is there a way to get her enrolled in tricare and deers since she really isnt able to take care of herself and her kids. I know that there is a way i just dont know where to start looking. I know that i have known people in the past that were able to get a family member enrolled when they had health problems. please if you have any info on this i would really appreciate the info being passed on.
    Copying some info I posted recently in another thread:

    Here is one link I found:

    Army Secondary Dependency Determination

    A form:

    http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/i...s/dd0137-3.pdf

    And some more information:

    make someone a military dependent, military family member id card
  3. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by malyriv View Post
    I have a 29 year old sister who will be coming to move in with me and my SO. She will be having surgery on her face because of a very violent relationship. During an MRI they found something on her brain that may be cancer. She has 4 kids no job since she was pretty much forbidden to get a job. We are taking them all in but i was wondering is there a way to get her enrolled in tricare and deers since she really isnt able to take care of herself and her kids. I know that there is a way i just dont know where to start looking. I know that i have known people in the past that were able to get a family member enrolled when they had health problems. please if you have any info on this i would really appreciate the info being passed on.
    She would have to be declared his dependent. And for that to happen she pretty much has to be declared unable to care for herself and that there is no one else.

    Do not try and sneak around this. If you do and get caught that is gov't fraud. Federal charges in addition to having to pay all the money back.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Airforcefiance's Avatar
    Airforcefiance is offline
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    #4
    I'm new to all this, so I'm unsure about your sister's situation. I have to say though, that your SO is a saint for trying to help them! You are too. I hope everything works out for you.
  5. Banned
    AylaWayla89's Avatar
    AylaWayla89 is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    arizona.
    Posts
    9,002
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Airforcefiance View Post
    I'm new to all this, so I'm unsure about your sister's situation. I have to say though, that your SO is a saint for trying to help them! You are too. I hope everything works out for you.

    my best friend was in an abuse relationship for 5 years and finally got herself out. i only wish i same for your sister. your family is in my thoughts and prayers!
  6. Senior Member
    Navgirl's Avatar
    Navgirl is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,361

    #6
    This can take some time, too, possibly years.
  7. You are here.
    Frybread's Avatar
    Frybread is offline
    You are here.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    23,977
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by EU_Queen(89) View Post
    She would have to be declared his dependent. And for that to happen she pretty much has to be declared unable to care for herself and that there is no one else.

    Do not try and sneak around this. If you do and get caught that is gov't fraud. Federal charges in addition to having to pay all the money back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    This can take some time, too, possibly years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    Copying some info I posted recently in another thread:

    Here is one link I found:

    Army Secondary Dependency Determination

    A form:

    http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/i...s/dd0137-3.pdf

    And some more information:

    make someone a military dependent, military family member id card
    Yep....its definitely not "instant" and they will question every expense and why. they are extremely thorough on this due to fraud previously. I know one AD member tried to get his mother on it, she had stage four lung and breast cancer, and I think she passed away before they would approve it. I think you and your SO has to financially provide for them with no SSI or anything else coming in for her for a period of time (i've heard 12 months to a few years) and that she can't work, isn't getting any type of help or income. etc.
  8. Junior Member
    malyriv's Avatar
    malyriv is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fort Hood, Texas
    Posts
    48
    Blog Entries
    4
    #8
    Thank you all for the info. I will look in to the Army Secondary Dependency Determination..I know it will not be a instant fix but what can it hurt to at least try. We had been thinking about adopting her kids of course with her permission for a while now. Pretty much everything is up in the air for the time being. Again thank you all so much..
  9. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #9
    as long as she has dependants you cannot make her a dependant.
    also adult dependants cannot get tricare- she would be seen on a space avail basis at the MTF at your base.

    and for the kids she would have to give up custody for you to get them to be dependants either temp guardianship or full custody,

    you will also have to go prove you can support the entire clan to do the adoption-
    this can take months and months,

    if you live on base they cannot stay with you longer than 30 days ( or 2 weeks) based on your bases rules- make sure you follow the rules exactly or you could be kicked out of housing.
  10. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    as long as she has dependants you cannot make her a dependant.
    also adult dependants cannot get tricare- she would be seen on a space avail basis at the MTF at your base.

    and for the kids she would have to give up custody for you to get them to be dependants either temp guardianship or full custody,

    you will also have to go prove you can support the entire clan to do the adoption-
    this can take months and months,

    if you live on base they cannot stay with you longer than 30 days ( or 2 weeks) based on your bases rules- make sure you follow the rules exactly or you could be kicked out of housing.
    Not always true. There is some paperwork they can do, and some hoops to jump through but they could have them live with them for a year. Of course they won't get bigger housing simply because they are there IIRC so 5 extra people might not fit into their housing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •