Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: 2011 Military pay----

1. Senior Member

2011 Military pay----

Advertisements
    2011 Military Pay — A Mixed Bag

January 3, 2011 • Terry Howell

The big news for military pay in 2011 is that the decade-long trend of large across-the-board pay increases for the military has ended — with a 1.4 percent thud. Although not unexpected, the news is still rather disappointing to many service members who have come to expect a decent size raise each year.

In addition to the minimal pay increase, service members will see a slight down turn in Basic Allowance for Housing, virtually unchanged Basic Allowance for Subsistence rates, and a drop in active duty cost-of-living-adjustments (COLA) (for those stationed in high-cost military housing areas).

As reported on Mil​i​tary​.com, this year’s raise – the smallest since 1962 – was low because, according to the government’s Employment Cost Index, military wages have achieved parity with civilian pay. Many service members and veterans would argue, and rightly so, that the ECI does not take the special burden and inherent risks of military service into account.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  2. Senior Member
    Not happy about it, but I completely expected it. this administration is not pro-defense.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  3. Senior Member
    Other factors affecting the size of the 2011 military pay raise include the current economic situation and the pressure on Con*gress to reduce the Federal deficit by reducing the cost of military personnel. At one point it was feared that military members would see their military pay frozen along with the rest of Federal civilian employees.

Military allowances for housing, subsistence, and cost-of-living are going to be relatively flat, mainly due to the way the Federal Government measures the economic factors which impact the military. BAH is determined by the cost of rent in each of the over 400 military housing areas. Most of these MHAs were impacted by the national housing crisis.

The 2011 Basic Allowance for Subsistence rates increased by about 80 cents a month. BAS is determined by the national average cost of food. The annual adjustment is based on the USDA food cost index.

The annual active duty COLA is deter*mined by localized sur*veys, which look at several factors which include transportation, goods and services (which includes food at home, food away from home, tobacco, alcohol, furnishings and household operations, clothing, domestic service, med*ical care, personal care, and recreation), and sales taxes.

On an up note, there are no reductions in Special Pay and most servicemembers will not feel the impact of the reduction in BAH due to “Rate Protection.” Rate protection keeps a members BAH at the higher rate until they move or there status changes in some way. And, for the time being, it appears there is no plan to freeze military pay in 2012.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Judi I agree with you 100%
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froglove View Post
    Judi I agree with you 100%

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I am happy with the 1.4% tho low is better than I will get this yr--- a big fat ZERO- my company has frozen all pay raises for 2011-2012.

the cola does not effect us, and our BAH rate actually went up.

the raise we will not even see becuase taxes will take it out- or it will go into the TSP.

for us it was really no big deal.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    well, with the decrease in social security tax employees are required to pay, it actually come out to be about 2.4% 'raise' in pay. The social security tax is now 4.2% instead of 6%, so the 2% decrease added to the 1.4% raise means paychecks should at least be 2.4% higher.....

And I agree... this administration (or any other democratic one) is not at all pro-defense...
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    Not happy about it, but I completely expected it. this administration is not pro-defense.

I am actually quite surprised it is the amount it is. I expected nothing from Obama.