Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Stupid questions (no, seriously, they probably are)

1. Senior Member

Stupid questions (no, seriously, they probably are)

Advertisements
    When DH goes to boot camp, I have two options. I can stay here in the Richmond, VA area, where I have a job (which only pays $10/hour or about $1100 per month, but it's better than nothing) and find a room to rent (they go for around $400+). BAH for Richmond (from data on military.com) is $1215.

I could also quit my job and move in with my parents in Orlando, FL, where I'd pay $100-$150 to help my parents pay the mortgage/utilities, but also have a TON more emotional support-my parents and I get along pretty well, and my brother would be 4 hours away. But...no job. I could try to find a temp job, but realistically, I'd like to plan on not having a job for a "worst case scenario" plan. The BAH for Orlando is $1305.

I'm trying to figure out how much money DH will be making in boot camp. I know that during boot camp he'll get E1 pay, but will we get any extras besides BAH? I'm not sure if it makes more financial sense to stay here in VA, or move down to FL...or what would be better for my emotional health.

Also, would I be able to get medical care in Orlando, or Richmond for that matter, if I have Tricare or Tricare prime? Do I have to be near a base to get medical care? I'm not sure how that works.

Any info/thoughts/advice is appreciated!! Thank you!

I retain an unalterable affection for you, which neither time nor distance can change. -George Washington, in a letter to his wife Martha, in 1775
  2. Banned
    Banned
    the BAH will based on where he went in- regardless of where you move to-

also the move to FL will be out of pocket-

also they will only pay for you to move from his HOR - so you may have to pay to move back to richmond or pay out of pocket for the distnace over the authorised limit.

adding- in- the pay ans allowances can take 2-6 weeks to start- and the only money he will get is BAH base pay and sep pay.
  3. Senior Member
    Thank you Dawn!

I retain an unalterable affection for you, which neither time nor distance can change. -George Washington, in a letter to his wife Martha, in 1775
  4. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    you will be able to have tricare no matter where you are living.
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  5. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    I too am moving when my husband goes to boot.
    We are going to MN and I was told here and by the recruiter that the BAH will be based off of here in PA.

The Tricare I have been told by a few Military wives that I know personally that they highly suggest Tricare Prime.
    So that is what we are signing up for.

I am sure you will get all the information in the packet you get when he is in boot.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  6. Senior Member
    Thank you ladies! There is so much information to navigate through.