Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: GI Bill dependent benefits?

1. Senior Member

GI Bill dependent benefits?

Advertisements
    My DB's EAS date is in 2012 and he intends to go back to school (via GI Bill).

My understanding with the GI Bill is that he gets some form of BAH while he is in full-time school. I assume that the BAH increases with a dependent like it does when he is active.

My question is, is there a requirement of when we have to get married in order for him to qualify as having a dependent for the BAH? (Like, do we have to be married at least 6 months before his EAS date, for example?)
  2. Senior Member
    I'm not sure about your question. I just posted a vent about the GI bill. It is such a great asset but such a pain in the arse to actually get paid.

I am not sure if you get more for being married. I know for us it depended on where he was going to school and where we live. We are in northern NJ (very high cost of living) and get (well are supposed to) around $1200/month while he is in school. - I believe it's around that - it's been a while since we've received anything from them.

Hope someone else can answer your question about being married.
  3. Senior Member
    It is not true BAH because it is paid by the VA and it is not based on whether one is married or not.
  4. Senior Member
    Ah, that would explain why I haven't found any info on dependent status affecting the BAH... I just assumed it was like when he is active.

So is the timing of us getting married going to affect absolutely anything? We're just trying to figure out wedding plans around when he is deployed, because he leaves soon and when he gets back, he'll only have a few months left.
  5. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    The rate for BAH he gets while in school is as an E-5 with dependants, so you could be married or not, and it won't affect anything.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  6. Banned
    Banned
    the rate for the GI bill is the e5 with dep rate regardless if he is married or not.

as for getting married, it will not matter with the gi BILL
  7. Senior Member
    Thanks so much guys!

I can see now why I was so confused trying to find information on this