Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreigner (not the band :P)

1. Regular Member

Smile Foreigner (not the band :P)

Advertisements
    Hi Ladies!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so pls feel free to move it to the right place.

DB and I have been talking about our future and we have some questions.

He is the AF and stationed in Germany till 2013. I'm from Singapore and currently doing my Bachelor in Business Management with 1.5 yrs left.

We talked about getting married and stuff so if we were to get married, it will be after I finish my degree in 2012

According to him, if we were to get married, they are going to extend another year for him in Germany. Does that mean that his orders are going to change and my name would be added inside so the USAF is going to pay for me to move over from Singapore?

He mentioned something about having goverment people to interview me before we get married because I'm not American? Is that true? He sounded like he was joking but he kept insisting that it is true. He said before he got into the USAF, they had people interviewing his ex-gf, mum and friends.

Oh yea! Singapore doesn't allow dual citizenship and I have no intentions to give it up so can I hold on to the green card and not be an American citizen? Hopefully they would allow dual citizenship in the future.

Would it be better to get married in Germany or US? I wanna do it in Singapore but his mum wants us to do it in US and he wants it done in Germany.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by 19april; 01-02-2011 at 09:28 AM.
  2. FiFi89
    FiFi89
    I m not sure much about his orders, or paying for you to move. I really dont know about that.
    But you most definitly have to be interviewed either before you marry or after. Its nothing to do with the military, its immigration.

IMO, it would be easier for both of you, to get married by the book, as in apply for a fiance visa, which will allow you to get married in the U.S , the interviews are done before your visa is granted. Then you have 90 days to get married. (i think).

If you get married without the visa it could cause some more complications, it might just make the process longer.

Or if you get married in singapore you must apply for a fiance visa for your DB.

Theres about 3 or 4 forms to fill out, and then the interview process. It can be done in your U.S embassy in Singapore (if there is one).

ETA: A link for fiance visa info

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Fifi & Gavin
  3. Senior Member
    Pretty sure you're supposed to get a fiance visa. They won't pay to move you from Singapore though anyways.. only from the states. Sometimes they will pay for you to move, sometimes not, really just depends on all the circumstances.

Definitely do it by the book though. It's pretty complicated, but he can get the answers. I don't think it really matters where you all get married. It's going to be a lot of paperwork regardless.
  4. Senior Member
    I thought you were talking about the musical group.

I wanna know what love is.........

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post

I could not think of a better title.
  6. FiFi89
    FiFi89

I want you to showww meee

Fifi & Gavin
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

That's what I Thought!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Girly View Post

I want you to showww meee
    I wanna FEEL what love is....

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  9. Army Wife :)
    Army Wife :)
    For the orders, you would have to apply for command
    sponsorship to be over here in Germany. To get command sponsorship, for enlisted, it does add another year to the persons contract. If he is an officer, it doesn't add a year because their contracts are three years to begin with. It will not add a year to his contract if you do not move to Germany.

PP's are right with the fiance visa (I saw this commercial for it on AFN about 100 times )...and I have no idea with the rest of the process. Good luck and congrats!
  10. FiFi89
    FiFi89
    I wanna FEEL what love is....
    I know you can showww meee

total

Fifi & Gavin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast