Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How to choose the right form of TriCare

1. Regular Member

How to choose the right form of TriCare

Advertisements
    DH and I just got married last week and I have my Military ID and I picked up brochures about TriCare and Deers from the SFC at the Armory where I had my ID made. The SFC said that my DH will have to enroll me himself when he gets to his duty station in Germany, and also take care of TriCare there. I haven't had to fill anything out so far.. and well that was unexpected. I guess it's because DH has been with me to help me get this process to go smoother. I'm a little confused on which TriCare plan to choose. The SFC recommended TriCare Prime Remote.. but the brochure doesn't tell me what it is.. I just want to get the best deal naturally.. what do you ladies think?? And is there anything else I need to do?
    There is STRONG, ARMY STRONG, and then there is ARMY WIFE STRONG!

Survived Deployment #1
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

If you are enrolled in DEERS you are automatically enrolled in Tricare standard, you can switch over to Prime if you want, most overseas bases will treat you as Prime (I believe) as they don't want you going off base for treatment. So if you are going with him to Germany you will have to decide if you want to go prime or standard for you EFMP screening appointments.

The major difference between prime and standard is: prime you can not choose your dr if there is space available for you on base, however there are no copays, and standard you can choose your dr, however their may be copays

3. Regular Member
    Thank You!
    There is STRONG, ARMY STRONG, and then there is ARMY WIFE STRONG!

Survived Deployment #1
  4. Regular Member

I have been researching and I want to have Tricare Prime Remote for me and my kids. I typed in our zip code to see if we qualify for remote and it says we do not...

Remote is for those who live over 50 miles from the nearest treatment facility. Our nearest is 101 miles away unless you couln't the VA hospital 40 miles away. I didn't think they counted... Anyone know why it says we can't have remote?
    Dana

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama View Post
    I have been researching and I want to have Tricare Prime Remote for me and my kids. I typed in our zip code to see if we qualify for remote and it says we do not...

Remote is for those who live over 50 miles from the nearest treatment facility. Our nearest is 101 miles away unless you couln't the VA hospital 40 miles away. I didn't think they counted... Anyone know why it says we can't have remote?
    Is your husband stationed 50 miles from the nearest treatment facility? I'm pretty sure this has to be the case and he has to enroll first and then you can enroll.
  6. Regular Member

We are not there yet. My husband goes to Benning this summer for OCS and we will be staying where we are.

The nearest treatment facility is 101 miles from us unless they count VA hospitals.
    Dana