Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: VA/medboard/need help :D

Banned

VA/medboard/need help :D

Advertisements
    Okay. So my DH is getting medboarded. He got 20% through the Army and then 80% with the VA. He is getting roughly 10,800 before taxes through the Army for his severance check.

So 10,800 and then 1547.00 every month through the VA for the 80%. Well part of that 80% is the 20% he got rated for the Army. Apparently this is considered "double dipping", and since he's getting paid through the Army he has to get a portion of this taken out to pay back out of the 10,800. His VA rep told him that he doesn't have to pay anything back, but I just called the VA office and they said he does have to pay a portion of the 10,800 back. Well when my husband was talking to his individual VA REP he said his payments won't start for 2 months.

So I am assuming that the VA rep I just spoke with on the phone is right and he does have to pay a portion of this back.. which is the 2 months that the VA rep said that he wouldn't get the payments.. I think he just meant he WOULDA gotten paid, but he isnt because they are taking the 2 payments from him to pay back whats being double dipped, his shin splints.

Apparently I can't call DH's actual VA rep back unless it's an emmergency, so I'm kinda screwed him. I don't know if the above is right, or if it actually takes 2 months to start THEN it'll be taken out.. or what.

Does anyone have experience with this and would know based on the facts, what is right or whats wrong? How long did it take anyone else to get their first payment once he was out, etc?

Also, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move. Didn't know where else to put it.
  2. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Banned
    I read that but I'm not seeing where it says anything except what it is, etc. I know he gets both severance and the VA payment.. I just don't know if the 2 months he isn't getting paid, is that them taking out whats owed, etc.

I'm slow. Please forgive me
  4. Banned
    Banned
    from what I can tell from your post- they will take out - or with hold the equal amount of the "over payment" since he got the money from the army- 10,000 they ( the VA ) cannot take money from that.
    so they have to take it from what the pay- so it makes sense for them to withhold the 2 monthly payments.
    faster and quicker than making smaller and longer payments.
    Banned
    Hm. Now I am hearing they are taking 254 a month out of each check until the 10k is paid off? Wtf. My husband said his VA rep said that he doesn't have to pay it back.. the VA guys on the phone told me he does, for the first 2 months, and then I keep hearing from other people it's 240-260 a month until it's paid off.

I REALLY wish DH's VA rep would allow DH or me to call him. UGH
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    ok I talked to the va here and to DAV. and they said that if this is severance pay that he is not supposed to pay it back, he will not be actively serving thus qualifies for the severence. Even with him getting paid monthly by the va he still qualifies for the severence. I wish I had something a little more concrete to tell you.

The DAV is the Disabled American Veterans association, they are good to have on your side, they will give you advice and help you in what ever way they can. You should have your dh look into having them represent him. Trust me it makes life a whole lot easier.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
    Banned
    Thanks for the advice!