Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opt out of Tricare

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Opt out of Tricare

Advertisements
    I have fantastic insurance at my job, however I will lose the ability to use my HSA if I have any military coverage. DF and I are getting married next summer and I wanted to find out if I can opt out of using Tricare so that I can continue to use my HSA and how I go about doing that.
  2. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

If you have insurance your's will be primary and TriCare will be secondary. No need to opt out.

Are your health benefits part of your employment package or do you pay for it? TriCare is by far the cheapest insurance going. Contrary to popular belief it is NOT a bad insurance. I've used it for 26 years w/3 dd's and no big problems.
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    My healthcare is completely paid for by my company. If I use Tricare as a secondary, I will automatically lose eligibility to use my HSA. I can still use my high deductible insurance plan, I will just lose the tax free account which my company funds with the deductible for the insurance plan. It's $3,000 in tax-free cash a year that completely covers the deductible so i have zero insurance costs no matter what.
  4. Junior Member
    I would use the insurance offered where you work for sure. =)
    PROUD MARINE WIFE.
  5. Senior Member
    I have Tricare Standard and the most I can pay out of pocket to see whoever I want whenever I want is 1000. I would go that route. I don't think you can opt out of Standard since its automatic.

I love Tricare Standard. And using it as secondary will still make your balance 0 so I guess I don't see the big deal.
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    What are you gunna donif he gets orders away from your job?
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Senior Member
    How would they know if you got another insurance? Do you have to tell them you now have tricare after you get married? I know right now I got insurance from my job and tricare. Its been great. No out of pocket. No Co pays.
    It took longer than we thought. Now 2 IUI's, 3 IVF's, 1 FET .
    One day at a time, one step at a time, and one day we will get there.
    DS Feb 2013 and Adopted DS Aug 2012
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krissywave View Post
    How would they know if you got another insurance? Do you have to tell them you now have tricare after you get married? I know right now I got insurance from my job and tricare. Its been great. No out of pocket. No Co pays.
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you don't tell them, it's insurance fraud. That's a felony.

OP, I'd go to your DF's base- they usually have a TriCare rep somewhere in the medical facility...I'd go talk to him/her and see what they have to say. I've never heard of "opting out" but I'm sure it can be done.

Although a PP had a point- what will happen if your DH gets stationed somewhere and you have to move? The nice thing about TriCare is it follows you everywhere you could possibly go.
  9. San Diego native in Kansas
    San Diego native in Kansas
    I'm pretty sure that if you have healthcare elsewhere, TriCare automatically becomes your secondary without having to opt out. But just remember - when your soon-to-be DH gets transferred and you have to leave your job, it can take a couple months to get back on TriCare.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    To answer your question: YES. You should be able to opt out of Tricare.
    You can join at anytime.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast