Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Enrolling in Tricare?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Enrolling in Tricare?

Advertisements
    I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get my military ID. Will I get enrolled in Tricare then? Will I get any kind of card stating I'm with Tricare?

Also I have a 15 month old will he be covered as well?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

2. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    When you get your military ID, they enroll you in DEERS and that will automatically give you Tricare Standard coverage. If you want to enroll in Tricare Prime (fewer options, need referrals, but low or no out of pocket costs), you'll have to go to the Tricare Service Center.

Your 15 month old can get military ID and be enrolled in Tricare if your husband put the child on his page 2 as a dependent. I'm not positive, but he probably needed his birth certificate in order to do that--did you send that with him? (I'm assuming your DH is in boot camp?)
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Hello

Yes I know that he added our son. And yes he's in BMT

I'm currently pregnant with our 2nd with Tricare standard take care of my appointments?

Do you recommend sticking with Tricare standard or should I go with Tricare Prime?

4. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Ok, then your son won't need military ID, but your son will be enrolled in DEERS and is also covered under Tricare Standard.

You can go to Tricare's website and see if your current providers are contracted with Tricare. If you want to stay with them, your best bet is to remain on Tricare Standard. If they're not contracted with Tricare (not "network providers") you'll have greater out of pocket expenses, so you'll have to choose whether you want to stay with your current provider or go with a network provider. The out of pocket costs on Tricare Standard really aren't that high, but I know with a young family who is new to the military, ANY extra expenses can be a burden. I have always been happy with Tricare Prime up until this pregnancy (my third) and I decided to switch to Tricare Standard. I'm not sure how it works if you're not near a military treatment facility though. For now, you should probably stay with Standard until you guys move to your first duty station... but I'm honestly not sure about that! Hopefully someone else will chime in with advice and info.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Jump for Joy

thanks you helped me out a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are moving when my husband goes to Tech school so i'll stick with standard.

thank you for the help!!

congrats on the baby!

6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I prefer prime because I don't have to worry about any costs. The whole time I've had it (2 years) I've only paid $3 and that's cause I got a script filled at walmart on a saturday instead of waiting till Monday when it would of been free.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Senior Member
    Be sure to ask them when coverage will start. Not sure about pregnancy but usually it doesn't start until the next month for coverage. You should get a paper card in the mail.

After you get your ID you need to go to the military medical facility so you can be enrolled and be assigned your Primary Care doctor. They can answer all your questions there.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  8. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    I have been told Tricare Prime is better. My friend whose hubby is in the Marines said Tricare Standard sucks and that she suggest we go with Tricare Prime too.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    The answer is no you will not get TRICARE right away. You need to make sure that you are enrolled in DEERS this goes with your 15month old.
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    Be sure to ask them when coverage will start. Not sure about pregnancy but usually it doesn't start until the next month for coverage. You should get a paper card in the mail.

After you get your ID you need to go to the military medical facility so you can be enrolled and be assigned your Primary Care doctor. They can answer all your questions there.
    TriCare Standard starts immediately once you are enrolled in DEERS. For TriCare Prime, if you enroll before the 20th of the month then your Prime coverage will be effective on the 1st of the next month...if you enroll after the 20th of the month then it will be effective on the 1st of the 2nd month. But while you are waiting for Prime to kick in you are still covered by Standard.

The MTF will not assign you to a PCM, TriCare will send you a letter in the mail stating who/where your PCM is. Just because you are on Prime does not necessarily mean that you will be seen at a military facility...its all on capacity, etc at the time you enroll.