Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying Space A

1. Army Wife :)
    Army Wife :)

Flying Space A

Advertisements
    Hey Ladies, Quick Question....

In some of my forums, some of you have mentioned I can fly back home using Space A travel. I am considering doing this pretty soon. I am getting really tired of being in Germany alone, and the Army still has no plans on bringing DH back. They also emailed me about my test appointment today, it is finally scheduled! But I'm afraid I will have to cancel and go through this whole process again because DH wont be here and he has to because I will be sedated.

Wow, I went completely off topic. A lot going on right now. Anyway, I was wondering about the Space A stuff. I have done some research and it says dependants can only fly space A if their sponsor is with them. Is this true? Because obviously he can't take me.

If you have flied space A, what was your experience? I need to get from Germany to Atlanta, GA (the only air force base around is Dobbins and I have been told not many flight go there). I might see if I can get a space A to hartsfield, since it is the largest airport in the world.

Thanks for listening ladies.
  2. Senior Member
    Don't quote me. I think you could go without him but basically you would be lowest on the totum poll.
  3. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

If flying is like staying in lodging, you would be P2(priority 2), and while you can have a spot one day, you might not the next due to P1s needing the space over you. You have to be flexible and understanding that active duty, people on orders, etc come before you.
  4. Army Wife :)
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info ladies. I understood I would have to wait. Whenever I do decide to get myself home, I will definitely be pretty flexible If I wasn't I would just take a commercial flight. : I actually have $800 credit with united since I booked a flight to be here for Thanksgiving, and obviously I'm not using that anymore.
  5. Senior Member
    Considering everything, I would use the credit because what would be maybe a one day flight could turn into 3 or 4 or a week.
  6. Army Wife :)
    yeah, but if I need to get home pretty fast it will be very expensive that way (like within a few weeks would be over a thousand dollars round trip), and I guess I wanted to research is for future reference as well. I mean, we will be here for three years!
  7. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Do some research online. There are five or six different priority classes, depending on your dependent status, where he is located, his rank, if you are command sponsored, etc. etc.

You have to apply to be put on the list, and you can list up to 5 airports/bases you are interested in flying to/from. Your application is good for 90 days. You will be notified usually the day before or day of with availability, so you have to be ready to go at the drop of a hat. There are several other priority groups that rank ahead of you, so you might get a spot from Schweinfurt to a larger base, and then be stuck at that other base for days or weeks because there are other people who are higher priority than you are.

There are also schedules online of what bases have flights going in/out when, and where to/from so you can plan accordingly. It will certainly take you much longer flying Space A than flying commercially.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  8. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Also, flying Space A can get expensive. If you are bumped from a flight because of your priority status, you will have to pay for a hotel room until you are able to leave.

There is a message board out there somewhere specifically for Space A travel and questions, and several sites that you may find helpful.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  9. Senior Member
    In case she doesn't see this...you could PM Lillie. She's used Space A a few times.
  10. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    Quote Originally Posted by HisGirl2010 View Post
    In case she doesn't see this...you could PM Lillie. She's used Space A a few times.
    I have and it's awesome!! Flying to and from Germany will be a lot like England, if not better.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast