Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eglin AFB Housing?

1. Loves Her Paratrooper!
    Loves Her Paratrooper!

Eglin AFB Housing?

Advertisements
    Can any of you tell me what its like living on base? We're moving to the area soon and I may give in and just live on Eglin, Lol. Thanks!

PS: We are a Married Couple with no children, so chances are I'll be qualified for a 2br unless someone has the trick to get a 3br

2. Senior Member
    It's all old and not very good from what we've heard. A lot depends on rank though how the housing is.

They do have a website though that shows the floor plans etc of possible houses you could get.
  3. Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure there's no trick to get 3 bedrooms if you don't have kids. We are going to have a child and we still won't qualify for 3.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    We have a 3 bedroom with no Kids! Really it's up to the timing that you look for places and if you've lived off base beforehand. DH and I played hardball with Balfour Beatty as we already had a 3 bedroom off base when we were looking for something on base (we wanted to move because he was slated for deployment and the area we were in was just crime infested). We told them that if they weren't willing to work with us that we'd continue to give our BAH to an outside source. They happily obliged and we got a 3 bedroom right on the bay! I'm not complaining at all.
    If you cannot get past my size and my exterior, there is no way I'm letting you know how great I am on the inside as bestsellers are not judged by their covers"
    -Me

Back in the Pure Romance Business....visit my page at
    http://michellemcmullen.pureromance.com
    DONE WITH GRAD SCHOOL! TIME TO CELEBRATE! :

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mushortgurl03 View Post
    We have a 3 bedroom with no Kids! Really it's up to the timing that you look for places and if you've lived off base beforehand. DH and I played hardball with Balfour Beatty as we already had a 3 bedroom off base when we were looking for something on base (we wanted to move because he was slated for deployment and the area we were in was just crime infested). We told them that if they weren't willing to work with us that we'd continue to give our BAH to an outside source. They happily obliged and we got a 3 bedroom right on the bay! I'm not complaining at all.
    How bad is Balfour Beatty? Just curious. We have Eglin and Hurlburt Field down on our possible follow on list. I think we're leaning to off base, just because we expect DH will make MSgt this year and the houses are only like 1200 sq ft. Has any of the new housing started going up? I visited a couple years ago but they hadn't even started yet.
  6. Loves Her Paratrooper!
    Loves Her Paratrooper!
    Bub, their website is a joke. Lol No photos, just a 'drawing' of what the floor plan is.. which I could've done on Microsoft's Paint program..

MuShort, yeah I know a few people who get 3br's without having children. I just don't see paying $1200 for a 2br when I could easily get a 3br for that in Crestview... But the point is I do want to live on post, just want to get what I pay for

7. Senior Member
    I think they had some pics when I was on ahrn. It will let you search and see what is available too.

If you don't have a bigger family you hardly get what you pay for on post. Even with 2 kids we qualify for a 2 BR technically (different sexes but under age 2). They would probably allow us a 3BR anyways though. You're BAH is paying for convenience often.
  8. Loves Her Paratrooper!
    Loves Her Paratrooper!
    Bub, yeah it seems that way. We're at Fort Bragg, NC right now (which I'm kinda from here) and the housing is horrible. I would never live on Fort Bragg, Pope maybe, but it was just silly to me to live on post since I've been in the area so long. But with Florida, totally new and would like to look at everything before I had to decide 750 miles away, Lol. Hence the reason I want on post. I'm looking into Hidden Oaks I think its called. Thanks for the AHRN, I already had it but I didn't realize 'housing' was on there.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoldiersWife11 View Post
    Bub, yeah it seems that way. We're at Fort Bragg, NC right now (which I'm kinda from here) and the housing is horrible. I would never live on Fort Bragg, Pope maybe, but it was just silly to me to live on post since I've been in the area so long. But with Florida, totally new and would like to look at everything before I had to decide 750 miles away, Lol. Hence the reason I want on post. I'm looking into Hidden Oaks I think its called. Thanks for the AHRN, I already had it but I didn't realize 'housing' was on there.
    Yeah. We've been looking at options at every base we could possibly go to it seems on ahrn, lol. I think the housing at the Florida bases suck compared to other AF bases. We're expecting DH to make E-7 while he's in Korea and there's no way we'd live on base there.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    I'm at Tyndall right now, and the housing...though the new houses are up, is not top notch. Balfour picked out the new layout for each type of Rank....officers/enlisted, but then skimped out on the construction part of it with each type of housing... So officers may have more space and granite counter tops, but the carpet is cheap and the paint job is even worse. Enlisted may have more nice carpet but cheap as hell counter tops and a screwed up toilet.
    DH and I live in an older home, our water heater has gone out twice, it took them a week to fix it. Currently our heater is set at 80 degrees but the house is literally maxed out at 66 degrees (I have a clock that also is a thermometer) so I'll be calling them this morning....
    Balfour is NOT easy to work with. You work with THEM, not vice versa. They know that you are at their mercy and they take as much advantage of it as possible. You'll be waiting for services to fix your home. They never call you back. Though, if the allotment doesn't go through correctly for your BAH to them, oh hells they are trying to get a hold of you like no other!
    Balfour is the devil here....we just were lucky because we lived off base first and got the bedrooms we wanted. Though now that we are locked in for a year and a half they couldn't give two shits about us!
    If you cannot get past my size and my exterior, there is no way I'm letting you know how great I am on the inside as bestsellers are not judged by their covers"
    -Me

Back in the Pure Romance Business....visit my page at
    http://michellemcmullen.pureromance.com
    DONE WITH GRAD SCHOOL! TIME TO CELEBRATE! :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast