Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: not sure if this is true

1. You're what keeps me believing the world's not gone dead
    You're what keeps me believing the world's not gone dead

not sure if this is true

Advertisements
    DF said he heard that if his name is on a lease the navy will give him living expenses even if he is not living there. I think this is false, but I thought I would ask.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have heard of someone doing this, although I wouldn't recommend it...if they were to find out he'd be in big trouble.
  3. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    I've never heard of this, but DH is Army so maybe that's why.

Unless they just mean like BAH, money to pay rent/mortgage, but in the Army it's 1 set amount per person based on rank/dependents, not based on how many leases... I'm confusing myself
    Last edited by MissOptimistic; 10-29-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Add something
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agilbert View Post
    DF said he heard that if his name is on a lease the navy will give him living expenses even if he is not living there. I think this is false, but I thought I would ask.
    Alright, the only living expenses there are is BAS for those who don't get fed by the military, BAH or OAH (?) which is for housing, and COLA for when you are stationed overseas and the cost of living is normally more than can be afforded on regular pay.

To receive BAH (or the overseas equivalent) one has to be allowed or eligible to live off base or in base housing. And how that works is by rank normally.

I don't exactly how it works for single navy guys though. For the other branches if you are at a certain rank you have the option of living off base instead of the dorms. And you get single rate BAH. If you are married you can live in base housing or off base what ever and you get married with dependents rate BAH (and that rate is based on rank and location).

So I think it comes down to is he allowed to live off base? If so than he will receive if he lives off base. If he doesn't have the permission to live off base he can not get BAH even if he does live off base.
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Alright, the only living expenses there are is BAS for those who don't get fed by the military, BAH or OAH (?) which is for housing, and COLA for when you are stationed overseas and the cost of living is normally more than can be afforded on regular pay.

To receive BAH (or the overseas equivalent) one has to be allowed or eligible to live off base or in base housing. And how that works is by rank normally.

I don't exactly how it works for single navy guys though. For the other branches if you are at a certain rank you have the option of living off base instead of the dorms. And you get single rate BAH. If you are married you can live in base housing or off base what ever and you get married with dependents rate BAH (and that rate is based on rank and location).

So I think it comes down to is he allowed to live off base? If so than he will receive if he lives off base. If he doesn't have the permission to live off base he can not get BAH even if he does live off base.
    ditto...unless there isn't room for him to live on base (ie barracks) they might allow him to live off base. But it will be single BAH rate if he is allowed, not w/dependents. And yes, most commands do check to see if leases are legit or not. Dh's last command did punish a few E3s and E4s who tried that.
  6. Senior Member
    to both above

In the Navy, if you live in the barracks you can run a chit to move out if the barracks are at an occupancy of 95% or greater. If you are approved then you start receiving BAH (I am not sure if it is after or before you sign the lease). The big thing is the permission. Without that they cannot live off base.

If a military member were to sign a lease without prior permission to move off base, they most likely not get approved for BAH. Not getting BAH is not enough to break a lease without penalty, so they would be responsible for all rent and fees associated out of their base pay.

Life is a great big canvas, throw all the paint you can at it~ Danny Kaye