Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That dreaded thing called BAH

1. Regular Member

That dreaded thing called BAH

Advertisements
    So we moved from base housing in Charleston on Sept. 24. Housing told us they would take out our last BAH payment in Oct because they are a month behind and we would see around $75 come back to us because we didn't stay a full calender month.

We are now living in the community in South Berwick, ME because housing was not available for us at the time for Portsmouth Naval Ship Yard. That means we will be paying our own rent, electric, etc. with the BAH we are suppose to be receiving.

So I checked DH's LES today and there is no way we received BAH for the month of November his pay was only in the $1,400's. Our rent is due on the first and I have on idea what is going on. Housing back in Charleston, good ole' Balfour Beatty mind you, said we should see half of our BAH on the 1st and the other half on the 15th.

Now I do notice how the LES for a month 'ends' on the 1st and a new one 'starts' on the 15th, is the 15th when we will get our first BAH payment?

Should I maybe call Charleston housing and see if they didn't actually get our BAH because someone screwed up the paper work?
    We got married on July 15, 2009!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If I understand it correctly, you wouldn't get BAH for nov until nov 15th and dec 1st....
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

You should have been paying in advance for housing, e.g you would pay in Sept 1st for the whole of Sept. That is how I have always known housing to be, if they were a month behind IMO that is their problem. So to be honest you should have recieved BAH in Oct and Nov

4. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    BB is a month behind in so for the month of October, they don't take it out untill the Nov. 1st pay as it is for dates 10/15-10/31

OP if you moved out Sept. 24 then you went 2 days over the DFAS time limit (7th and 22nd of every month) with that said..... You should be recieving the pay on the 1st of Nov. as if BB put the request in to cncl the Alotment on the 1st of October like they should have you would have been within the time limit to recieve the pay back on the 15th of October as well as your BAH for 10/1-10/14.

Are you sure your not recieveing it?? is 1,400 what you normally recieve bi-weekly?? If you normally recieve that amount.. call down to charl. and see if they still have you in the system as taking out your alot.
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  5. Regular Member
    $1,400 may be a little over normal, DH is E4 with sub pay, as well as career sea pay. In Charleston before sub and career sea pay we were seeing close to $1,000 bi weekly (BAH not included of course). But I will call Balfour Beatty and see whats going on.
  6. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    how is he getting both pay??
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  7. Regular Member
    Not sure what the career sea pay is actually for but he gets the sub pay for being stationed on the USS Virginia. He was only just stationed on the Virginia the beginning of this month and the sub is in dry dock. This is his first month ever being on a sub as well he joined the Navy Jan. 2009
  8. Regular Member
    Aha! This is probably why he is getting both, under Assignment Eligibility for Career Sea Pay in OPNAVINST 7220.14, the sub is 50 miles away from it's homeport, which is Groton, CT.

But that is pretty much a guess, but I think a good one.
  9. *more than anything*
    *more than anything*
    Fort Polk la/ soon to be Camp Humphrey, Korea
    Blog Entries
    the way Mil pay was explained to me..............you are back paid when you recieve your check on Nov. 1 it is for Oct Dec 1 for Nov etc maybe that is why the BAH is not on there also look on your top left page under deductions/allotments if it is listed there then it has been paid to housing (you will get your check sent to your new address no later then Nov 10th mil rules) If you look at the bottom of the LES there is a whole lot of mumbo jumbo SOMEWHERE in all that it should state "miltary allotment housing decrease" that states that the following month you will not pay housing to where ever......BUT if you have not recieved a ck for your BAH for OCT and $75 for Sept by Nov 20th contact your old housing and if they refuse contact your base legal. hope this helps
  10. Banned
    Banned
    BAH is paid retroactively-

so BAH for OCT is paid 1/2 on the the 15th of OCT with the BALANCE paid on NOV 1st.
    NOV BAH paid nov 15th and so on.

PPV housing ALWAYS collect the BAH retroactively also- so if you move in SEPT first they do not take the money til OCT 1st.

when you move out you actually pay for the month before. ( move out OCT 30- rent is paid for oct NOV 1st)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast