Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Is this true?

1. Proud Army Wife
    Proud Army Wife

Question Is this true?

Advertisements
    I heard that once a soldier is out of the army if they go to school the army will pay for housing! True or not? Thank you!!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I am thinking not. Once they are out, they are done with benefits (unless they retire after 20 years). There are a few exceptions and there is the GI bill (but I am not 100% sure how that works, and I do not know if that covers housing).

I know that if people go into the ROTC program and sign up for another 4 years to go in an an office that the scholarship may pay for the dorms, but thats all I have heard of as far as possibly having them cover housing while in school.
  3. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah2112 View Post
    I heard that once a soldier is out of the army if they go to school the army will pay for housing! True or not? Thank you!!
    Yes, here is the info and criteria to meet.
    Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

ETA: it says with dependents.

ETA2; Ok, it says the rate is E5 with dependents but I don't think that means you have to have dependents. I got a little confused on that. I just knew it does pay and my dh will take advantage of that when he retires.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Me: Southern California Him: stationed in Okinawa, deployed to Phillippines
    My DF said that once he's out of the military, they will pay for him to go to college, and as long as he's enrolled in college he will get I believe half his pay and housing allowance. At least that's what I understood from the way he explained it, but I could have misunderstood. Wouldn't be the first time! He's in the Marines, so I don't know if it's different in each branch.
  5. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    I am thinking not. Once they are out, they are done with benefits (unless they retire after 20 years). There are a few exceptions and there is the GI bill (but I am not 100% sure how that works, and I do not know if that covers housing).

I know that if people go into the ROTC program and sign up for another 4 years to go in an an office that the scholarship may pay for the dorms, but thats all I have heard of as far as possibly having them cover housing while in school.
    The Post 9/11 GI Bill includes E5 BAH while attending school but of course there are rules and criteria.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

good to know, sorry OP, I didn't know!
  7. Banned
    Banned
    as long as he is enrolled in the POST 9/11 gi bill they will pay him the BAH rate for the location of the brick and mortar school- he cannot take all online classes.

and under the GI bill he gets tuition, books and BAH nothing else.
  8. Don't you know, don't you know that you're beautiful?
    Don't you know, don't you know that you're beautiful?
    I believe I DB told me he will receive BAH, and that I also read that in the rules. I recommend reading the entire page on the link posted above.
    blondiebabe is my twin! Distance Divas SailorsGoddess is my wifey!