Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Questions on BAH while defered to oconus

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Questions on BAH while defered to oconus

Advertisements
    Ok, so I know that BAH runs off of my location during the time he is unaccompanied OCONUS. Right now I am in the process of having the Army pick up our UB and HHG which they are storing for us until our amended orders come through for family travel and clearing housing. I clear housing on the 10th of Nov and since I'm moving north to be with family through the holidays when I could expect the BAH to change to my new location?

I know DH has to fill out some forms, but was wondering if there was any way I could complete this process with POA before I leave or if it had to be done by him and his new command and how long to expect it to take for the change to become effective. Also will the BAH be adjusted and the differance be backdated to Nov 11th or are we just screwed for the month of November?

Thanks a lot. Any information you have will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    BAH is paid retroactively- so for nov you get 1/2 for the 1-15th and the balance on dec 1-

if and I use the word IF they do approve the location change it can tak 4-8 weeks- depending on how long it takes them to process the paperwork

understand there is a really good chance that you will not get approved for the location change in this situation
  3. Army Wife :)
    Army Wife :)
    I would think they would just keep paying the BAH of the old location...but I really have no clue .
    In my situation DH was suppose to be unaccompanied OCONUS and he wasn't going to recieve ANY BAH for me back in the states...but I guess that was because he needed BAH to cover his apartment here (junior officers don't have any on base housing here).
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    BAH is paid retroactively- so for nov you get 1/2 for the 1-15th and the balance on dec 1-

if and I use the word IF they do approve the location change it can tak 4-8 weeks- depending on how long it takes them to process the paperwork

understand there is a really good chance that you will not get approved for the location change in this situation
    Thanks, I get that there is a chance the approval won't go through and thankfully it seems he has a pretty good Command when it comes to paperwork. He's going in Monday to see what they say.

I've already been told that November's BAH will be paid in full to FHFH and once all is settled they will then send a rebate check for the remaining balance. We'll see just how long that one takes!
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaP View Post
    Thanks, I get that there is a chance the approval won't go through and thankfully it seems he has a pretty good Command when it comes to paperwork. He's going in Monday to see what they say.

I've already been told that November's BAH will be paid in full to FHFH and once all is settled they will then send a rebate check for the remaining balance. We'll see just how long that one takes!
    I know the commands can be good-but this is actually a branch thing and has to go thru a secretarial process- in other words it is not up to the command but the Head quarters for your branch.

your DH will have to write out a formal request explaining the hardship of being in a new location for the period your going to be there will be, he will have to show the difference in BAH will be financially detremental to his family. they will want to know how long your going to be and what you new living expenses will be- rent, projected ulilities higher cost of living. he will have a hard time proving this since you are "only visiting".
    they do not need this for PCSes but they do need for situations like this-

most members do not bother because it is a long tediuos process.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I know the commands can be good-but this is actually a branch thing and has to go thru a secretarial process- in other words it is not up to the command but the Head quarters for your branch.

your DH will have to write out a formal request explaining the hardship of being in a new location for the period your going to be there will be, he will have to show the difference in BAH will be financially detremental to his family. they will want to know how long your going to be and what you new living expenses will be- rent, projected ulilities higher cost of living. he will have a hard time proving this since you are "only visiting".
    they do not need this for PCSes but they do need for situations like this-

most members do not bother because it is a long tediuos process.
    Thanks, well, I figure it this way, if it gets approved GREAT! BAH difference between here and there is $900. I'll be staying with family, but I'll be paying my share of the bills and it gets expensive up north in the winter! Worst case we stick with what we already have and hopefully save a few bucks while we are there too. I'll have to start getting my ducks in a row for paperwork though!
  7. Senior Member
    As long as his tour is 2 years and down as unaccompanied you should have no problem getting the BAH switched. DH gets OHA at the single rate in Italy for his rank and I get BAH at the with dependents rate in the states. Since it's a PCS and not a TDY or deployment the BAH should change until you can get on accompanied orders since he will no longer be stationed in Texas once he arrives to Germany.
  8. Senior Member
    I have known many people to move while their husbands are on official unaccompanied (meaning they didn't just choose the spouse not to go) and none of them had problems getting their bah changed.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaP View Post
    Ok, so I know that BAH runs off of my location during the time he is unaccompanied OCONUS. Right now I am in the process of having the Army pick up our UB and HHG which they are storing for us until our amended orders come through for family travel and clearing housing. I clear housing on the 10th of Nov and since I'm moving north to be with family through the holidays when I could expect the BAH to change to my new location?

I know DH has to fill out some forms, but was wondering if there was any way I could complete this process with POA before I leave or if it had to be done by him and his new command and how long to expect it to take for the change to become effective. Also will the BAH be adjusted and the differance be backdated to Nov 11th or are we just screwed for the month of November?

Thanks a lot. Any information you have will be greatly appreciated.
    she is waiting for amended orders- and if TMO is coming to move them into storage- until the orders come thru- then they expect her to stay in that location to move from.
    I am not sure how TMO is going to move them- if they do not have orders- but that is another issue.
  10. Senior Member
    she is waiting for amended orders- and if TMO is coming to move them into storage- until the orders come thru- then they expect her to stay in that location to move from.
    I am not sure how TMO is going to move them- if they do not have orders- but that is another issue.
    Yeah. The Army can be really different from the USAF sometimes. I know that DH gets an assignment and after all the paper work is set up (medical clearances etc etc) he gets orders. If the medical isn't completed all the way then the orders default to unaccompanied until it's all figured out.