Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: University of Phoenix

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

University of Phoenix

Advertisements
    To all the army wives that are wanting to go back to college. I read about the MYCAA is comin back on the 25th for the spouces. a couple things have changed about it. Ranks from E1 to E5, O1-O2 and W1-W2 are still eligible to get if and for thoughs wives that are ranks from E6 and above we do not get it. which really sucks. on a second note....

I been doing alot of thinking about how I want to get back into college and i read about the colleges here in hawaii. They were too expesive and not what I was lookin for. I came across University of Pheonix when my hubby was going the in processing here in hawaii a repersative came and set up a booth on family day. That was the first booth i was really interested in. I talked to the nice lady telling her i want to get back in school she told me she was doing certificates that were free money toward your tuition at the college she was going to give out $350.00 and $750.00 of free money to 2 people. we go back in to the building and they were doing drawings and sure enough when I heard my name get called for $750.00 i was so excited. it encourage me more to get things put together and for me to go back to school. I had previous college experience. it took me a day reading about university of pheonix. I like the way that it was 9 weeks u get your degree very fast and its very cheap. i also like the way that they do things for the military even if its a spouse. i was always getting the run around about stuff at my last college and they pretty much didnt care about your home life which is understandable but they took everything as if u dont do it you pretty much failed. University of pheonix set you up very quickly they go over things correctly and the people want to get to know you and with that i liked they way they are concerned about gettin you on your feet and doing what they can for you to get there. The advisors are really helpful and they are there 24/7 answering your questions and when they tell you they will call you they do. it took me about a week to get in college i start Nov 2.. at this point of the good news i was thinking wow this can get better and it does and i wanted to share my experience to those that are doubting to go back or even to college for the first time. u haver advisors that walk you through steps. and pretty much the ones u talk to have some connections to the military and the advisors just for military personal. so the whole point of my blog is that i fully recommend if u wanting to go to college and I personally know how it is trying to juggle everything being a army wife try University of Pheonix they work around your schedule they try to make things easy for you and the good thing is u can start whenever u want too. youll get your degree quicker and as for me im going straight to my bachlors and the cool thing about that is i dont have to get my associates. the advisor told me im lookin at about little over a year to 2 years on gettin it. if you have any questions about my experience let me know i would be glad to answer them thanks for your time.
  2. Senior Member
    I do not have personal experience with them. There are some here that do though.

One thing I have heard from people that have gotten degrees from UoP is that some companies will not take them as a valid education.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Your classes are 9 weeks long right? I'm currently in the MBA with a concentration in Accounting program and I am in my last course...finally. I love University of Phoenix and actually every time I go to an interview the moment I say where I'm going they interviewer asks if I like the school as they want to go to school via on line. Most places will scrutinize but I keep all of my classwork in my binders for each course so if someone wants to question I can easily say "do you want my syllabus to the course and my classwork as proof that this is an actual college and not just a pay for degree right away school?". It's helped me. However I would recommend going to a motar school for you undergrad as it's seen that you can be involved in campus life. The more clubs and whatnot you're in, the better. That's at least the vibe I get when I go into interviews.
    If you cannot get past my size and my exterior, there is no way I'm letting you know how great I am on the inside as bestsellers are not judged by their covers"
    -Me

Back in the Pure Romance Business....visit my page at
    http://michellemcmullen.pureromance.com
    DONE WITH GRAD SCHOOL! TIME TO CELEBRATE! :

4. Regular Member
    Although I'm not army I'm going to UoP. I'm Navy.. My tuition is $250 per semester credit due to the fact I'm a milspouse. Idk about MYCAA, I'm not done with my financial aid right now. I'm going through the verification process because I transferred from ITT Tech. I like it, it's convenient for me. I'm doing online classes. The one thing to get used to is their OLS vs ITT Tech's OLS.
    ||
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    I do not have personal experience with them. There are some here that do though.

One thing I have heard from people that have gotten degrees from UoP is that some companies will not take them as a valid education.
    I've heard that too. A lot of employers are skeptical of degrees from for-profit schools and University of Phoenix is pretty much the biggest for-profit school out there. Many people associate for-profit schools with diploma mills. Be sure that this school is accredited for your program.
  6. You are here.
    You are here.
    I've heard from a few that sometimes they do struggle with the online courses, and some of the instructors, but overall I have good reviews about them. I do agree with Tojai and SM, some companies may not see it in the same light as a brick and mortar school.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I was with UoP for like 6 classes. I hated it. I could NOT stay interested, and it is a ridiculous amount of money for what you are getting. Some people I know love it, but I just thought it was a huge waste of my funds. It is MUCH more expensive than other schools I looked at.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarianna View Post
    I was with UoP for like 6 classes. I hated it. I could NOT stay interested, and it is a ridiculous amount of money for what you are getting. Some people I know love it, but I just thought it was a huge waste of my funds. It is MUCH more expensive than other schools I looked at.
    were you considered a military spouse at that time? I'm pay $250 per semester credit hour through them.. which is cheap as hell. I'm paying like $20k for my BA.. if i were to stay at ITT Tech i'd be paying 45k for just a ASSOCIATES degree. Now that's a big difference. I agree I don't like the online classes either BUT at the same time it's more convenient for me to do online classes through them so I've gotta get with it
    ||
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by LadiBree View Post
    were you considered a military spouse at that time? I'm pay $250 per semester credit hour through them.. which is cheap as hell. I'm paying like $20k for my BA.. if i were to stay at ITT Tech i'd be paying 45k for just a ASSOCIATES degree. Now that's a big difference. I agree I don't like the online classes either BUT at the same time it's more convenient for me to do online classes through them so I've gotta get with it
    I think the rates have went down some since I was there. I was a military spouse, but I still thought it was incredibly expensive for an associates, which is all it would have been. I decided getting my associates at the local community college would be more beneficial to me because then I could transfer those credits to a 4 year school. I have heard from many people that UoP classes do not transfer a lot of times.

But, that is just what I have heard. I would not have stayed anyway, because the classes could not keep my interest. I felt like I was in middle school again or something, like I was THE smartest person in my entire group. It drove me crazy.
  10. Senior Member
    University of Phoenix is a great school. I'm completing my Bachelors through Western Governors University, which is also web-based and I LOVE it! You just have to do some research into the accreditation each school has. WGU is a flat rate per semester ($3,000) and you take as many classes as you want. School is expensive, but there are ways to lessen the blow.

Good for you for going back to school...it isn't easy (and web-based curriculum isn't for everyone) but it's worth it!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast