Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ineligable step child? EFMP? POAs? Can I scream?

1. Regular Member

ineligable step child? EFMP? POAs? Can I scream?

Advertisements
    Ok, dh is in OCS, basically unreachable until Dec. He sent me a SPECIFIC POA for DEERS/Tricare only, not mentioning the EFMP, that I need to get my son into like hopefully before we PCS in JAN! So we finally get this specific POA, and ran right over and got into DEERS and got our ID cards. They also informed me that the POA I had been sent, will not cover the EFMP process. Ok so I get home and I talk to another friend for over 3 hours, lost track of time. I look online to try to enroll us into Tricare and I am eligible, but my son is not. I have always been told that step children are able to get coverage under Tricare. IDK what to do first, who to call, who to yell at, lol.

First off, the person that did your DEERS enrollment did not know what a POA was, then entered me in as a complete stranger's wife , then finally took care of that, had to call some major higher ups to fix that one. Then she took care of me, and then my 14 year old son.

Ok, Bio dad is incarcerated, has no legal rights, but maintains parental rights as he has to pay child support. Dh was planning on adopting my son anyways, but there has to be a faster and easier way to get this done.

I did send an email to dh, he did not get it today, so hopefully tomorrow, but I am totally stressed beyond belief, plus my next online class started today and it seems like way too much for 5 weeks and my 14 year old decided to be a brat all day! Ok, thanks for listening to my vent, but I seriously need to figure this out like ASAP. Thanks all!
  2. Senior Member
    You child should be eligible. My husband did not adopt my son and his bio dad pays child support but since I am the custodial parent and what not he is covered by Tricare from my husband.
  3. Regular Member
    I know he should be eligible. Something is screwed up. The person entering us could have done it too. IDK. This is the entire reason why we decided to marry after BCT and before OCS since he needs to get enrolled in EFMP and I can't do anything without the proper POA
  4. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    My husband claims both my kids as his step kids and did not adopt them. You need to have their birth certificates as well as a copy of your divorce papers when you enroll (they asked for mine, I just can't remember why). I added them with my POA when I added myself. I also have a full General open ended POA so I don't have to mess with all that garbage of a POA for each thing.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  5. Regular Member
    They have his birth certificate and I never put his fathers name on it so it remains blank. I never felt the need to enter the sperm donors name. Has anyone else had issues? She did not ask for documentation on bio dad, never married. I doubt she had any clue what she was doing and now it is going to take some higher up to go in and fix it. I also need that general POA. This is a complete mess. The commander said before that my son will be enrolled in EFMP before OCS grad in Dec, well we are wasting critical time here so I emailed him and hopefully he can help get things pushed through
  6. Senior Member
    So your son is in DEERS and has an ID card but the system won't allow you to enroll him in Tricare? I thought once you were in DEERS you are automatically in Tricare Standard.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmies View Post
    Ok, dh is in OCS, basically unreachable until Dec. He sent me a SPECIFIC POA for DEERS/Tricare only, not mentioning the EFMP, that I need to get my son into like hopefully before we PCS in JAN! So we finally get this specific POA, and ran right over and got into DEERS and got our ID cards. They also informed me that the POA I had been sent, will not cover the EFMP process. Ok so I get home and I talk to another friend for over 3 hours, lost track of time. I look online to try to enroll us into Tricare and I am eligible, but my son is not. I have always been told that step children are able to get coverage under Tricare. IDK what to do first, who to call, who to yell at, lol.

First off, the person that did your DEERS enrollment did not know what a POA was, then entered me in as a complete stranger's wife , then finally took care of that, had to call some major higher ups to fix that one. Then she took care of me, and then my 14 year old son.

Ok, Bio dad is incarcerated, has no legal rights, but maintains parental rights as he has to pay child support. Dh was planning on adopting my son anyways, but there has to be a faster and easier way to get this done.

I did send an email to dh, he did not get it today, so hopefully tomorrow, but I am totally stressed beyond belief, plus my next online class started today and it seems like way too much for 5 weeks and my 14 year old decided to be a brat all day! Ok, thanks for listening to my vent, but I seriously need to figure this out like ASAP. Thanks all!
    Ok, your son SHOULD be eligible for deers. My oldest is not my sons and had no issues getting him enrolled into deers. It seems weird you were unable to get your son enrolled.

Now, since your son's father still has parental rights over your son, you will have to get his permission to get a passport, to leave the country with him etc.

Just breathe. Rushing things will not make things go any smoother.
  8. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmies View Post
    They have his birth certificate and I never put his fathers name on it so it remains blank. I never felt the need to enter the sperm donors name. Has anyone else had issues? She did not ask for documentation on bio dad, never married. I doubt she had any clue what she was doing and now it is going to take some higher up to go in and fix it. I also need that general POA. This is a complete mess. The commander said before that my son will be enrolled in EFMP before OCS grad in Dec, well we are wasting critical time here so I emailed him and hopefully he can help get things pushed through
    As long as you have a birth cert that show's he is yours, and a marriage certificate that shows you are married to the service member and your POA allows you to enroll yourself and child in DEERS/TRICARE and get ID's that is all you should need. The EFMP program is another story that I can't help you with. My command made me get my son enrolled when I was on active duty but it was a bit different since I was the service member.

A general POA is risky business and many legal offices won't do it. My husband had to insist and even then they gave him hell. Open ended was another battle. The ID card chick was jealous that my husband trusted me that much. LOL.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  9. Regular Member

Wow Kimmies.... I didn't know you were still having issues. Did you try speaking to a different person? Sometimes the person you get to help you, gets one thing into their heads and nothing will change it.

Your son should be eligible. Then after he gets under DEERS and ID card, get Tricare set up.... I don't remember EFMP being hard to get into. As long as you have that medical POA, EFMP shouldn't have any problems working with you. Oh... it might be that the POA says DEERS/Tricare but is not worded saying "medical"... talk about nip picking! What do they think Tricare is??
  10. Regular Member
    I got it taken care of with another trip to post. The problem was that the person that entered us into DEERS put my son's date of birth, my date of birth. Complete mess, but when we got into the office (different one) a wonderful officer helped clear it all up then we went to tricare in person and got that all enrolled and done.

Benning will not do an general POA. I find it so pathetic being that he is going to need one anyways once he is deployed.

I have an iffy feeling about the EFMP stuff we are doing, I will post that in a different thread tho.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast