Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Many Tricare Questions about Pregnancy

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Help Many Tricare Questions about Pregnancy

Advertisements
    So, I'm pregnant Yay! Now, I'm not exactly sure what I need to do now, lol!! I need some advice: I'm on Tricare Prime, now (oh, back story, I have yet to see ANY dr. in Hawaii since I got everything squared away before we moved and was not due to for a physical or anything else until Jan. 2011). Well, since I'm now, I know I need to see an OBGYN. How do I make an appt with a Dr. when I don't already have one? or what should I do - call tricare? do they set up appts??

Also, I'm wondering if I should/can switch to standard and what the benefits are as far as costs involved with babies

TIA!!!
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    call the appointment line and they can usually point you in the right direction
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    So, I'm pregnant Yay! Now, I'm not exactly sure what I need to do now, lol!! I need some advice: I'm on Tricare Prime, now (oh, back story, I have yet to see ANY dr. in Hawaii since I got everything squared away before we moved and was not due to for a physical or anything else until Jan. 2011). Well, since I'm now, I know I need to see an OBGYN. How do I make an appt with a Dr. when I don't already have one? or what should I do - call tricare? do they set up appts??

Also, I'm wondering if I should/can switch to standard and what the benefits are as far as costs involved with babies

TIA!!!
    Call Makalapa Clinic at 473-0247 to make an appointment with your PCM. If you don't have a PCM selected yet, you'll need to go to the Tricare office, across the parking lot from Makalapa Clinic.
  4. Regular Member
    first of all congrats on your pregnancy!!!! i'm 3 months along with my first little one :-) very exciting/nerve racking time, isn't it? anyway, if you have prime, you can go right to the base clinic and if you don't like the physician, from there on out, they will either choose for you/provide you with a list of physicians who accept tricare prime. personally i stuck with standard because i wanted the freedom to be able to choose my own doctor since pregnancy is such an intimate experience. i'm pretty sure the difference goes something like this: prime will pay 100% of your medical bills, where as standard pays 80%... but frankly that doesn't much matter because your entire pregnancy after the first few visits (and ultra sound i think?) count as one visit. am i right on this ladies? it's a great deal either way, just depends on your preference. most obgyns will accept new patients so don't worry about not having one already. good luck and be sure to let us know how it all goes!
  5. Senior Member
    First you need to go and get the pregnancy confirmed by the base clinic/hospital. Once you do that they will set you up with an appt at 12 weeks. Many hospitals require you to take a class type thing before they will schedule your first appt. And with prime you will be assigned a dr if there is a full hospital and if there is just a clinic with no maternity services they will allow you to go off base and pick the dr of your choice as long as they accept tricare and tricare accepts them.

Good luck and congratulations
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmal View Post
    first of all congrats on your pregnancy!!!! i'm 3 months along with my first little one :-) very exciting/nerve racking time, isn't it? anyway, if you have prime, you can go right to the base clinic and if you don't like the physician, from there on out, they will either choose for you/provide you with a list of physicians who accept tricare prime. personally i stuck with standard because i wanted the freedom to be able to choose my own doctor since pregnancy is such an intimate experience. i'm pretty sure the difference goes something like this: prime will pay 100% of your medical bills, where as standard pays 80%... but frankly that doesn't much matter because your entire pregnancy after the first few visits (and ultra sound i think?) count as one visit. am i right on this ladies? it's a great deal either way, just depends on your preference. most obgyns will accept new patients so don't worry about not having one already. good luck and be sure to let us know how it all goes!
    I have never heard that before.

As far as most obgyn's taking new patients, it all depends. Some do but many don't if they are quite popular. When I was pregnant with my first I had to settle with my third choice for the first half of my pregnancy because the first two were not taking new patients. Thankfully I moved and found the best dr in the world (for me).
  7. Regular Member
    the only reason i'm quite sure that that's true is because i myself am pregnant and went in to talk to one of the healthcare representatives, that is what he told me. i'm unsure at what point he said this action takes place but, he did say "after (this point) your pregnancy will all count as one visit." then again, the guy was... kind of unclear and entirely too dry in his humor; i too am dry and couldn't decipher what the hell he was talking about sometimes, was he serious? was he not!? who knows. i will affirm it though asap and let you know ladies because i don't want to be distributing false info! i'm sorry you had to search so much for an ob, but hey at least it all worked out great right? i've changed obgyns based solely on personal preference a few times but i never had difficulty finding one to fit me in. that could all depend on location though!
    Last edited by mmal; 10-04-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: because i felt like it :-p
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks for all the help, ladies!! I'm going to be sticking with prime and, when I get home (in SC right now visiting family), I'll be going in for a blood test and go from there! Y'all were a huge help, thanks so much!!
  9. Regular Member
    I have prime and I had to go to my pcm or the ER to get it confirmed, I got my confirmation from the on base ER. Then I was able to call an obgyn and make an app and then I gave the referral from the ER to them. Thats all I had to do. I also have Prime and I still got to choose my obgyn. I think maybe it just depends on what base your at and all that stuff. I went to a civilian doctor and chose a female Dr, because thats what I wanted. Prime payed for everything for me, from the visits to the delivery.
  10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mmal View Post
    the only reason i'm quite sure that that's true is because i myself am pregnant and went in to talk to one of the healthcare representatives, that is what he told me. i'm unsure at what point he said this action takes place but, he did say "after (this point) your pregnancy will all count as one visit." then again, the guy was... kind of unclear and entirely too dry in his humor; i too am dry and couldn't decipher what the hell he was talking about sometimes, was he serious? was he not!? who knows. i will affirm it though asap and let you know ladies because i don't want to be distributing false info! i'm sorry you had to search so much for an ob, but hey at least it all worked out great right? i've changed obgyns based solely on personal preference a few times but i never had difficulty finding one to fit me in. that could all depend on location though!
    I was on Standard for my last trimester (civilian insurance for the first two) and while it wasn't explained to me that way, it seemed to work something like that. I paid a copay for my first visit, I believe it was $10 or so, and nothing for the rest of the pregnancy.