Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFMP-process?

1. Regular Member

Question EFMP-process?

Advertisements
    OK, dh and I got married in between BCT and OCS so we could specifically get my son (who suffers from Bipolar Disorder) through this process and have everything set before a PCS. I also currently reside in an area that has minimal military medical care as we are currently apart.

What is this process? How long does it really take? I know it is supposed to take 30 days, but I have heard some horror stories.

I am not sure if the military has to do their own eval or if medical records and current docs can do this. I asked his pediatrician as we were in there on Monday bc ds has another sinus infection and she said she knows little about it but has heard of it before.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    It can take anywhere from 2 days to about 2 months. There is no magic number on time unfortunately.

There is a form that the civillian doc can fill out. You may be told to drive to your nearest base w/ medical or when your DH applies, they will tell him the name of an 'approved' doctor who can fill out the form, you don't get to pick which doc it is.
  3. Mrs Haines
    Mrs Haines
    I was in your same situation (being too far from a post to be seen at the post's hospital) when my husband was deployed and I was working on EFMP stuff to get to Germany. I got the "approved form" (from my husband who got it from the S1 shop - I *believe* it was S1) for my civilian doctor to fill out and then had to drive to the nearest post to get my screening done (which was actually turning in my paperwork and having a lady look over it is all). You will HAVE to go to a post at some point to turn that paperwork in because you have to sign that in front of them.
    "I am absolutely convinced that there is no way around this... I have fallen in love with you" - DH

Would you believe me if I told you that fairy-tales come true .. when I'm with you?

4. Army Wife :)
    Army Wife :)
    My EFMP process took the two day route. As my DH puts it.."everything is smooth sailing in the army unless something isn't right, then it takes forever". I live close enough to an army base that I just got it done there. His S1 in Germany pushed it through faster than I thought possible O.o. My process took two steps: first one I went to the base and got a physical and blood tests, the second I went to the same base and got the same doctor to stamp an approval on my EFMP form. Since your DH is busy with training you might need a power of attorney to get one of the forms notarized.
  5. Regular Member
    Well I can mention it to the commander if I know exactly what the form is or even I could find the form under the Army pubs site and send it to him. I have been in communication with him to help push the DEERS stuff. Dh was told that it could not be done without me present and of course still being in the BCT mindset, he just took it. He is happy I talked to the commander. He knows that we need to get the EFM stuff done before graduation, so the DEERS and POA are getting pushed through tomorrow. They are going to scan everything and email it and then send me the originals. I assume I will then be able to take the copies somewhere?

We are in MN and the post here basically services guard and vets, that is about it. A friend had to drive to Fort McCoy just to get the child care paperwork done for graduation in Dec and it took them forever just to do that. It is about a 4 hour drive for me which I am not concerned about, but multiple trips would be insane. We can go there to get our ID cards and I believe to turn in the DEERS paperwork, but after her horror story, I am tempted to take it all to ft McCoy, but she said she had issues with them doing the paperwork right for the DEERS and Tricare.

First lesson with the Army, you have to know exactly what you are doing and exactly who to go to. I had made contact with Benning's EFMP people and they said to call when we get married.
  6. Army Wife :)
    Army Wife :)
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmies View Post
    Well I can mention it to the commander if I know exactly what the form is or even I could find the form under the Army pubs site and send it to him. I have been in communication with him to help push the DEERS stuff. Dh was told that it could not be done without me present and of course still being in the BCT mindset, he just took it. He is happy I talked to the commander. He knows that we need to get the EFM stuff done before graduation, so the DEERS and POA are getting pushed through tomorrow. They are going to scan everything and email it and then send me the originals. I assume I will then be able to take the copies somewhere?

We are in MN and the post here basically services guard and vets, that is about it. A friend had to drive to Fort McCoy just to get the child care paperwork done for graduation in Dec and it took them forever just to do that. It is about a 4 hour drive for me which I am not concerned about, but multiple trips would be insane. We can go there to get our ID cards and I believe to turn in the DEERS paperwork, but after her horror story, I am tempted to take it all to ft McCoy, but she said she had issues with them doing the paperwork right for the DEERS and Tricare.

First lesson with the Army, you have to know exactly what you are doing and exactly who to go to. I had made contact with Benning's EFMP people and they said to call when we get married.
    Are you married yet? that would be the first step... kind of confused now.

Here are the forms: the DA Form 7246, DA 5888, and the DD 2792. The DA 5888 has a place for the doctor doing the EFMP to sign and say that you are approved for command sponsorship, and that is the form your DH needs to take to get you put on his orders. You can find all of these by googling them I'm pretty sure, and one has a place to get it notarized (which I did on base).

Another thing you need is medical records from the past 3 - 5 years, and pap smear test records from the past year.

I totally know how you feel on the driving btw...the closest base to me is on the other side of atlanta, and my appointment was during rush hour traffic ~.~ I'm really glad it only took two visits to get all this done.

You know, the base I did this all at had a checklist...maybe yours does too? I would check their website just in case.
  7. Regular Member
    We got married 9/23 when he graduated from BCT before reporting to OCS so I could get all this done for my son while he is in school and we cannot be together anyways.

This is for my son, he has Bipolar Disorder and is governmentally classified disabled as he gets social security disability. Not sure if that will help.

Which form does he need to fill out if any?

I feel like I need a checklist for everything right now. Just changing my name is overwhelming to begin with.

Are the scanned copies good enough for anything or do I have to wait for the originals? I am sure the commander would let him send them priority.
  8. Mrs Haines
    Mrs Haines
    I'm sorry to ask like this, but are you married to your Soldier or not? Your OP said you were, but now your last post hints that you're not.

If you're not, (again sorry to ask like this) but is your child also his? If not, there's truly nothing you can do about this process until you are actually married and the child is considered a dependent in DEERS. If you are married or if the child is his dependent already then his commander should know what the form to get an EFMP Screening is, but it's called a DD279, DA 5888 & DA7246.
    "I am absolutely convinced that there is no way around this... I have fallen in love with you" - DH

Would you believe me if I told you that fairy-tales come true .. when I'm with you?

9. Regular Member
    Oh and I started collecting his medical records and I have everything from 2007 to current as well as some older ones in a different binder.
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peeps26001 View Post
    I'm sorry to ask like this, but are you married to your Soldier or not? Your OP said you were, but now your last post hints that you're not.

If you're not, (again sorry to ask like this) but is your child also his? If not, there's truly nothing you can do about this process until you are actually married and the child is considered a dependent in DEERS. If you are married or if the child is his dependent already then his commander should know what the form to get an EFMP Screening is, but it's called a DD279, DA 5888 & DA7246.
    Yes, we are married and have the certified copies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast