Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Probably get this question a lot

1. I'm so much cooler online
    I'm so much cooler online

Probably get this question a lot

Advertisements
    But I am slightly on the stupid side. (Ok maybe more than slightly but I'm still in denial )

So when DH signed us up for Tricare he signed us up for Standard. I liked it because we were 1.5 hours from a base and I didn't want to have to drive all the way up there just for a check up. Now we're in Germany and we went to the briefing of all the Tricare jazz and I didn't think anything about switching prior. But then they were talking about Prime and Standard and now I'm all sorts of confused. From what I can gather Prime they give you a primary physician and you have to continue to go to them unless they give you a refferal. (Correct?) And Standard we can go to anyone but we just pay some or more depending on if they're Tricare approved (Correct?)

So I guess my question is What are the pros and cons of each. Should we stick with Standard or should we enroll in Prime. And does it matter if we're OCONUS??
  2. Senior Member
    No, even with standard your dr has to be tricare approved. But yes with prime you are assigned a PMC (primary care manager) and need referrals to see someone outside your primary military facility but there are no co-pays for visits even if you are referred. If you are standard again they need to be tricare approved, but you can choose your own and only have co-pays.

Those for me are pretty much the pros and cons for each lol.

I don't know how it works overseas as in not the states (since alaska and hawaii are considered overseas).
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    For overseas I believe you have to be and are automatically re-enrolled as prime. When we were stationed in Italy everyone had to go on base. Luckily, most overseas stations have a hospital so you can be seen for just about anything or have just about anything done in terms of babies and surgery. You will be assigned a PCM but you don't have to book your appointments with them, unless you really like them. Also, if you hate your PCM you can request a new one. I hope this helps and good luck.
  4. Senior Member
    Your doctor just has to be board cetified on Standard. If they take Tricare as insurance its considered Tricare Extra and has a lower copay.

Prime is better overseas unless you plan on seeing a German doctor. Technically you can stay on standard but its a lot harder overseas. It's also not recommended.