Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: DEERS Question...

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

DEERS Question...

Advertisements
    So my fiance is having an unaccompanied short tour to Turkey in February for one year. He wants to make sure myself and our daughter are taken care of. Now she is already enrolled in DEERS and has TRICARE since he was put on her birth certificate and all that jazz. We want to do a JOP ceremony sometime before he leaves. Which also means I need to be enrolled in DEERS, get my military ID, and get enrolled in TRICARE.

My question is... Does my fiance enroll me in DEERS by himself? Does he fill out paperwork or do it online? I don't need to be with him? And then I go with him to get my military ID obviously, right? Since I am getting a picture taken? From there on, we go and make sure I'm enrolled in TRICARE? He said I need two forms of ID. I have a DL and SS card. Will those be enough? A lot of people mention bringing BCs as well, so I'm confused. We'll bring along our marriage paperwork as well when I get my ID, just in case.

I'm new to all this. I just wanted to hear it from someone else instead of Googling. TIA!!! Haha, I guess those were questions, not just one.
  2. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Once you're in DEERS, you are automatically in Tricare unless you select Prime.

He can enroll you in DEERS himself. All he needs is your marriage cert. To get your ID, you will need to go as well. DL and SS card should be fine.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    It's easier to go with him to get it all done. I was told you have to go to tricare and enroll once your in deers.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    Once you're in DEERS, you are automatically in Tricare unless you select Prime.

He can enroll you in DEERS himself. All he needs is your marriage cert. To get your ID, you will need to go as well. DL and SS card should be fine.
    This.

Once in DEERS you are automatically enrolled in Tricare Standard, if you want to go Prime you have to go fill out paper work.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you, ladies!
  6. Senior Member
    Your Welcome.
  7. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    If you can, just go with him and get everything done at one time. Some places have a TRICARE office not far from the ID Card facility. Make sure he makes an appointment. Take everything with you...better to have more than you need than to waste a trip. You are enrolled automatically in TRICARE when you are placed in DEERs but if you want PRIME you need to go change that and they will probably want you to select a doctor at that time.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber