Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 basic pay, cola and bah released?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

2011 basic pay, cola and bah released?

Advertisements
    When will the 2011 pay charts be released? I am reading that this year's raise will be minimal, ~1.4%, so I am more interested in the BAH and to see if it will go up, down or stay about the same. Usually, this information is circulated unofficially until October or November, but I haven't heard anything this year.

Have you all heard anything yet?

TIA,
    Melissa
  2. Senior Member
    I haven't heard anything yet. I am interested to see the BAH rates as well.
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Cola changes every two weeks depending on the economy just so you know
  4. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    you know if you look up the BAH .... if you are already at a location.. your BAH can not go down, it can only stay the same or go up. However if you are moving to a location and their BAH goes down.. you get the new BAH, so essentially you and your neighbor can be the same rank and be getting diffrent amounts... mabye E5 W/dep already there 1250 and E5 W/dep moving there 1100. make sense??

and im not even worrying about the 1.4 bonus... it means at most we will be getting about a 35.00-50.00 increase in base pay. I know its better than nothing.. but still kinda stings from the 200.00+ increase we got this year.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I did find this on military.com. I didn't know this so I figured I would share...

Although BAH rates will generally either remain stable or increase, there may be some areas that decrease due to a decreasing local rental market. However, individual rate protection will still apply. Individual rate protection prevents the decrease of a BAH rate as long as the status of a servicemember remains unchanged. The servicemember who is already attached to his or her unit and receiveng BAH will receive any published BAH increase, but no decrease. When the new BAH rates go into effect, rate protection assures that the servicemembers typical out-of-pocket costs may be less, but never more, than upon their reporting date.

So for those with outstanding Pearls of Wisdom, please explain the section about the status of the MM remains unchanged. DH will promote up in January. IMO, this changes his status as he will be a new rank. Therefore, could we be effected by a decrease in BAH since his status will change, or does change in status refer to PCSing to a new duty station?
  6. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly519 View Post
    I did find this on military.com. I didn't know this so I figured I would share...

Although BAH rates will generally either remain stable or increase, there may be some areas that decrease due to a decreasing local rental market. However, individual rate protection will still apply. Individual rate protection prevents the decrease of a BAH rate as long as the status of a servicemember remains unchanged. The servicemember who is already attached to his or her unit and receiveng BAH will receive any published BAH increase, but no decrease. When the new BAH rates go into effect, rate protection assures that the servicemembers typical out-of-pocket costs may be less, but never more, than upon their reporting date.

So for those with outstanding Pearls of Wisdom, please explain the section about the status of the MM remains unchanged. DH will promote up in January. IMO, this changes his status as he will be a new rank. Therefore, could we be effected by a decrease in BAH since his status will change, or does change in status refer to PCSing to a new duty station?
    A new rank is a change in status. So is getting married. For example, DH was E-5 and PCSed here in 2009. BAH went down on January 1, but he had "rate protection" until his status changed. For us--that was when we got married. When a status changes, they get the *current* rate of BAH (for us, that was E-5 with dependents). For your husband, since he's promoting in January, he will get the 2011 rate for his new rank w/ dependents. He can't get, say, the 2010 rate since that is no longer in effect. Rate protection is only if the person stays the same rank and family status (with or without dependents) at the same duty location.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  7. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    As for the 1.4% suspected pay increase, I'm not going to complain. In the economy with people losing jobs or taking huge pay cuts to keep their jobs, I think any pay raise at all is generous.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  8. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    BAH rates come out in December.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    change in status is ANY change- rank, no cost move ect.

however there is an exception to the rule and that is if a member who gets advanced and the the BAH is LOWER than the members current BAH it will stay the same-

so if member advances to e5 and his current BAH ( E4) is 1295 dollars and the new advancement ( e5 ) rate is 1235 he will get the 1295 rate.

but if the member (e4) gets 1295 and the e5 bah was 1350 and drops to 1300 the member will get the new lower rate since it is higher than the e4 bah.
    does that make sense?
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    good news! Thanks very much for this clarification!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast