Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it really do-able???

1. It is what it is....
    It is what it is....

Is it really do-able???

Advertisements
    So honestly how "tight" is it living with only an Army paycheck? DH is a E3 and I plan on working when we PCS, but I realize it might be a while before I find a job. We don't have credit card debt, or school loans. We just have 1 truck payment, insurance and cellphone payments.

I realize that the military is not somethign that will make us rich, but is it comfortable?

I realize there are a number of variables that can change this answer, just looking for a general idea.
  2. Moderator

It depends on your spending habits/budgeting abilities. We did just fine on an E-3 paycheck with a child, and me staying at home. We were comfortable and lacked nothing we needed. But we are stay-at-home types with very sparing spending habits. We're too boring to spend our money.
  3. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    My friends on E3 are hurting, but they have HORRIBLE spending habits, no record of what they spend their money on, have debt up to their ears, dont end up paying bills becaues they're not paying attention so they get past due balances' etc. They have a little girl and keep needing to go to the navy relief for 300 dollar loans to get her food or what not and they're already on WIC! you OBVIOUSLY can't be in as bad as these guys are.

Get a budget together, a realistic one, and determine it plausible or not.

My husband and I lived fine on his E4 check, extravagantly on his E5 check ( i had two jobs waahoo!!) and now we live fine with a little girl, me being a sahm and on his E6 check.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSL8809 View Post
    So honestly how "tight" is it living with only an Army paycheck? DH is a E3 and I plan on working when we PCS, but I realize it might be a while before I find a job. We don't have credit card debt, or school loans. We just have 1 truck payment, insurance and cellphone payments.

I realize that the military is not somethign that will make us rich, but is it comfortable?

I realize there are a number of variables that can change this answer, just looking for a general idea.
    It's definitely possible.

We have exactly those bills plus 2 more monthly payments and all the gas DH's car uses () and have extra at the end of each month.
  5. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    We are VERY comfortable on E4 pay, with 2 kids, and me staying at home. We've actually managed to save, but DH is deployed and his job gets him a bunch of extra pay.

6. Senior Member
    When me and DH got married he was E-3 we did just fine. I didn't work, we had 1 car payment. We have no credit cards, nor bad spending habits. We even went to NYC for a small vacation. You just have to know how to spend money wisely, and know how to save.

We didn't have kids when we got married either.
  7. ...
    We live just fine on just an e4 paycheck, we also did fine on an e3 pay too.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSL8809 View Post

If the bolded is the extent of your bills (minus of course groceries) than living on his pay alone should not be a problem. If there are no kids that you guys have you might even be able to live off base in a cute studio or one bedroom and bank some.

Dh was an e-3 when we first married. Had one kid starting out AND some credit card debt. No problems.
  9. It is what it is....
    It is what it is....
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    If the bolded is the extent of your bills (minus of course groceries) than living on his pay alone should not be a problem. If there are no kids that you guys have you might even be able to live off base in a cute studio or one bedroom and bank some.

Dh was an e-3 when we first married. Had one kid starting out AND some credit card debt. No problems.
    Yes, we really only have the bills above...well plus groceries and gas. The only thing we really spend money on is an occasional dinner/movie maybe once a month. We do not have kids yet either.

I guess I just panicked at first when I looked at the numbers, but feel a bit more comfortable now after everyone's input. I guess me buying a new coach purse every 6 mo like I am used to may have to be stopped...no matter how I try to convince DH, it isn't a neccessity ....
  10. Regular Member
    My DH is an E-4... and we are a family of 6 living only on his salary. We have no problem making ends meet. But then again, we live in Iowa... and the cost of living is pretty low.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast