Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about moving onto base...

1. Regular Member

Question about moving onto base...

Advertisements
    Okay, my husband is stationed in Texas, but is deployed at the moment. I moved to Ohio in order to save money, but was thinking about moving back to Texas a few months before he comes home. He and I have agreed that we want to try living on base, so can I apply for housing without physically ever being in Texas? Like can I set everything up, and just move in when the time comes, since I know they have a wait list... Or what? I want to call housing but I just got up here, don't have home phone yet and cell phone service in this area is the worst, can't even tell you how many times i've dropped calls or I can't be heard/understood when trying to use the phone Just trying to get an idea about how all this works sooner rather than later since i'm not sure when i'm going to get home phone service and I kinda need to get crap together in order to even have a place since they have a waiting list and I really have no idea how that all works.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XensWifey View Post
    Okay, my husband is stationed in Texas, but is deployed at the moment. I moved to Ohio in order to save money, but was thinking about moving back to Texas a few months before he comes home. He and I have agreed that we want to try living on base, so can I apply for housing without physically ever being in Texas? Like can I set everything up, and just move in when the time comes, since I know they have a wait list... Or what? I want to call housing but I just got up here, don't have home phone yet and cell phone service in this area is the worst, can't even tell you how many times i've dropped calls or I can't be heard/understood when trying to use the phone Just trying to get an idea about how all this works sooner rather than later since i'm not sure when i'm going to get home phone service and I kinda need to get crap together in order to even have a place since they have a waiting list and I really have no idea how that all works.

You will need a copy of his orders and a POA. Than you can ask for an email copy of the application for housing or see if they have one online. Once you get a copy of the application you need to send it along with a copy of his orders (and quite possibly a copy of the POA) to the housing office and go on the list. How long it will take will all depend on how many people are in front of you for the housing you need.

But once you are number one on the list they will offer you a house and you can accept or deny the house (and they are suppose to show you another house and if you deny that one you go on the bottom of the list). If you take it you sign the lease and move in.
  3. Regular Member
    I have POA, so that's no issue, i'll have to talk to him about a copy of his orders next time he calls.

As far as showing me a house goes, does it really matter? Can I sign a lease via fax or something without seeing it you think? Only because it's myself and 2 kids in Ohio, moving back to Texas without a set residence isn't going to cut it when we don't know anyone down there to stay with while things get sorted. If worse comes to worse I can wait until he gets back, i'm just trying to make things easier for him so he can just come home and relax. I looked up online and if it's accurate for his rank and the number of bedrooms we need there are like 100 people on the wait list, and it says how long (estimated) the wait is, but I don't know if they'll shorten it since i'm trying to move back and he's deployed, since that wait list is shorter or what... Just kind of rambling, haha, sorry.
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Trust me you will want to see the house first! NEVER sign a lease without seeig the place
  5. Banned
    Banned
    also alot depends on whether the housing is PPV or not-

many PPV's are changing the rules- and if you are not able to accept a home they take you off the list and tell you to wait a yr before reapplying.
    you need to call the base to find out what thier housing policy is.

but I know you cannot accept sight unseen- with most PPV's since you are leasing from a private company.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XensWifey View Post
    I have POA, so that's no issue, i'll have to talk to him about a copy of his orders next time he calls.

As far as showing me a house goes, does it really matter? Can I sign a lease via fax or something without seeing it you think? Only because it's myself and 2 kids in Ohio, moving back to Texas without a set residence isn't going to cut it when we don't know anyone down there to stay with while things get sorted. If worse comes to worse I can wait until he gets back, i'm just trying to make things easier for him so he can just come home and relax. I looked up online and if it's accurate for his rank and the number of bedrooms we need there are like 100 people on the wait list, and it says how long (estimated) the wait is, but I don't know if they'll shorten it since i'm trying to move back and he's deployed, since that wait list is shorter or what... Just kind of rambling, haha, sorry.
    Oh you can, but you shouldn't. Because than you accept it regardless of if the rooms are too small etc.

No, sorry they will not advance you on the list simply because you are in a different state. The only thing (in MY experiences) that gives the family any moving up quicker room is if the military member had a remote pcs. They give a year credit on the list generally. But since you are trying to get housing where he is already stationed you will go on the bottom of the list sorry.