Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice about what I can do....

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Fort Polk, Louisiana. Husband will be stationed here soon, me and children are already in the area.

Need Advice about what I can do....

Advertisements
    My husband and me got married back in the beginning of July. He is currently stationed in Hawaii and will be leaving in a month. He has had to refill out the BAH paperwork 6/7 times within the last 8 weeks. Which 3 of them within the last 10 days. He'll be coming home in October for a month on vacation then heading to VA for 6 months of schooling before he will be stationed in LA, which is where me and the children are at. We have been told if BAH doesn't get processed before he leaves next month we will have to wait until next year in May when he gets stationed here before we can get everything taken care of. My question is what can we do to make sure our paperwork gets processed instead of "lost" everytime we turn around? Is there anything that I can do to make sure the paperwork gets taken care of before he leaves without causing him to get in trouble? Then what if the paperwork doesn't get put through he leaves next month?

I don't know if the branch really has a big thing to do with this but he is in the Army. Any help will be very helpful and appreicated a lot.

Brittany
  2. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Um... hmm, this seems odd. First of all, there really isn't much paperwork involved. It's just adding you to his Page 2 so that they know he's eligible to receive BAH based on his dependent status (being married).

Also, I don't see why, if they don't get it done correctly, he would have to wait til May. And--they will backdate your BAH to the day you got married, so you will get BAH back to you wedding date in July.

Is he working with the finance office on base (not sure what the Army calls it) or someone in his unit? My husband is Navy, but he tried to work with the person on his ship who is supposed to take care of this kind of stuff, but that guy did NOT get anything taken care of, so we went ourselves to the finance office on base. They told him he was supposed to take care of it on his ship, but he explained that he had tried to do that and the person didn't know what they were doing, and they helped us out.

In order to add you to his Page 2, he needs to have your marriage certificate to prove that you're married. That should be it as far as I know.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

4. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HollySunshine View Post
    very

5. Senior Member
    This doesn't sound right. As far as things with DH and I, getting BAH was the simplest task, compared to enrolling in DEERS and getting my ID card. There wasn't much paperwork as far as I remember.

All he had to do was put me on his Page 2 after he brought in our marriage certificate and what not and then about a month or 2 later they began paying it to us and we got backpay from the date we were married.

I don't understand why you would have to wait until next May...that makes absolutely no sense.
  6. I'm Cristina!
    I'm Cristina!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily89 View Post
    very
    When DH and I got married it took a month or so to get everything together but we got backpay for it
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Fort Polk, Louisiana. Husband will be stationed here soon, me and children are already in the area.

Bang Head

Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    Um... hmm, this seems odd. First of all, there really isn't much paperwork involved. It's just adding you to his Page 2 so that they know he's eligible to receive BAH based on his dependent status (being married).

Also, I don't see why, if they don't get it done correctly, he would have to wait til May. And--they will backdate your BAH to the day you got married, so you will get BAH back to you wedding date in July.

Is he working with the finance office on base (not sure what the Army calls it) or someone in his unit? My husband is Navy, but he tried to work with the person on his ship who is supposed to take care of this kind of stuff, but that guy did NOT get anything taken care of, so we went ourselves to the finance office on base. They told him he was supposed to take care of it on his ship, but he explained that he had tried to do that and the person didn't know what they were doing, and they helped us out.

In order to add you to his Page 2, he needs to have your marriage certificate to prove that you're married. That should be it as far as I know.

I know it isn't much paywork and that is why I cant figure out why they keep losing it and not turning it in to finance. Thanks for the information about going down them personally because I think that is what he'll have to do. His unit isn't taking care of anything and I can't wait for him to get out of that unit.

The reason why they told us that we would have to wait is because he'll be TDYing for school for 6 months. I really don't understand why that would make a difference but that is what he was told.

I am also wondering do any of you know for a fact if we should be recieving BAH where his is stationed or where me and the children are at? We both have found things that state both, and other people have told us different things. I am going crazy with everything with the Army right now. Most things I found state where he is stationed at but I have no clue!!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crhm4782 View Post
    I know it isn't much paywork and that is why I cant figure out why they keep losing it and not turning it in to finance. Thanks for the information about going down them personally because I think that is what he'll have to do. His unit isn't taking care of anything and I can't wait for him to get out of that unit.

The reason why they told us that we would have to wait is because he'll be TDYing for school for 6 months. I really don't understand why that would make a difference but that is what he was told.

I am also wondering do any of you know for a fact if we should be recieving BAH where his is stationed or where me and the children are at? We both have found things that state both, and other people have told us different things. I am going crazy with everything with the Army right now. Most things I found state where he is stationed at but I have no clue!!
    BAH will be for where he is stationed. Unless he is on a remote (ie you are NOT allowed to be there) the BAH is always for where the duty member is stationed. Now say he goes to Korea for a year. That is considered a remote tour and the bah will be for where his dependents are living. But if he is stationed in one place and by choice his dependents stay in another than the bah still stays for where he is stationed. Even if he deploys since that is not a permanent move the bah stays for his duty station..
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    BAH will be for where he is stationed. Unless he is on a remote (ie you are NOT allowed to be there) the BAH is always for where the duty member is stationed. Now say he goes to Korea for a year. That is considered a remote tour and the bah will be for where his dependents are living. But if he is stationed in one place and by choice his dependents stay in another than the bah still stays for where he is stationed. Even if he deploys since that is not a permanent move the bah stays for his duty station..
    Actually it will depend on what type of orders he has and how they are cut, at least in the Army. There are certain types of orders that allow the BAH to be different from the duty station. But most of the time it will be based on the duty station.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  10. Senior Member
    It sounds like he is currently on an unaccompanied tour to Hawaii. If so, BAH would be for where you are located. And he is going TDY somewhere for six months? Is it a TDY enroute?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast