Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: If you know about the National Guard, click me!

1. Moderator

If you know about the National Guard, click me!

Advertisements
    My little sister's husband is considering joining the NG because of some info he got from a recruiter. I think the info is incorrect. His major motivation for possibly joining is to receive health benefits for my sister. But... don't National Guard only get benefits while they are in training/deployed/activated (or whatever the correct term is)?

I'm gonna try to get my hubby to talk him into going AD if he joins at all. My little sister's body isn't strong, so they NEED health benefits, but I am afraid he's being talked into something that isn't what he thinks it's going to be.

If it changes anything, they are both full-time college students as well.

Anyone know anything about this? I just don't know enough about the Guard to advise them, but they keep asking me about it because my husband is the only military member in our family.
  2. Love you with all my heart!
    Love you with all my heart!
    Blog Entries
    We have health benefits now that DH is off active orders and they told us we can get insurance after the "free" insurance is up but have to pay a premium
  3. Regular Member
    We pay a premium with tricare reserve select but it's not that much (i dont remember off hand what it is, i know it's not much. but we're both full time students and work and afford it fine) If he's a full time student he may want to wait until after his degree to join, he'd be an officer right away, better pay and the much better option of tricare prime which covers nearly anything and everything.

Now if he's just started school, joining now wouldn't be bad. The guard will pay for the rest of his schooling and the good possibility of extra income each month for just going to school. He could also be apart of the ROTC program at his school which will make him an officer as of his graduation.

The Guard is really great for being able to afford school. And then the education can help the move to officer. As far as health coverage and premiums, it's not bad in the Guard but there is a small copay for most things.

Hope this helps! :-)
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musiclife17 View Post
    We pay a premium with tricare reserve select but it's not that much (i dont remember off hand what it is, i know it's not much. but we're both full time students and work and afford it fine) If he's a full time student he may want to wait until after his degree to join, he'd be an officer right away, better pay and the much better option of tricare prime which covers nearly anything and everything.

Now if he's just started school, joining now wouldn't be bad. The guard will pay for the rest of his schooling and the good possibility of extra income each month for just going to school. He could also be apart of the ROTC program at his school which will make him an officer as of his graduation.

The Guard is really great for being able to afford school. And then the education can help the move to officer. As far as health coverage and premiums, it's not bad in the Guard but there is a small copay for most things.

Hope this helps! :-)
    to the bolded.

For just the NG soldier it is just about $50/month for tricare reserve select. For the soldier and family (even if it's just soldier and SO still considered "family") it is $200/month.
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    to the bolded.

For just the NG soldier it is just about $50/month for tricare reserve select. For the soldier and family (even if it's just soldier and SO still considered "family") it is $200/month.
    $200? maybe i was thinking of something else, hmm but def thought it was a little less than that, either way, his once a month guard pay ends up covering that
  6. Moderator

Thanks for the info!