Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Compensation timeline question!

1. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries

Compensation timeline question!

Advertisements
    K separated from the service on April 19th. He submitted all the paperwork needed to the VA before his separation to ensure his claim would be processed quickly (apparently they usually process your claim within 60 days if your paperwork is in before you're out, or so we were told).

His VA appointments were the first and second week of July. Since then, we have received postcards and letters saying "Oh, we're still working on it." The most recent was about a week ago.

How much longer should we wait before contacting an advocate? How long does it generally take after an advocate contacts you for your claim to be processed? Or any experience/advice/thoughts/etc. on this process?

TIA!
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  2. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    DJ filed his claim in January while he was on Terminal Leave through a fast track program that is only available in Washington. We received his EOB in May and started receiving his benefits in June.

I was told claims can take up to a year to process and start receiving benefits. The best thing to do is start calling them and seeing what the status is. Don't rely on those little cards, actually call and make yourself known.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I know my claim is for something entirely different... but it took FOREVER. Honestly, you really have to be your own advocate. I called the VA on Tuesdays and Thursdays for WEEKS to check on my status.

One of my coworkers (retired army vet) suggested I contact a local congressman for help. If you find the congressman for your area, they usually have info on their website... you sign a release form, submit a letter explaining the situation (basically a hardship letter).... and they "flag" your account.

You can also request that his case be moved to a "hardship" queue with the VA by calling.... also fax them a letter of hardship... especially since it's been so long.
  4. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    They are so backed up that it's taking forever. I filed min in Jun 07 and got my letter and started getting my disability the following Dec. Mine went fairly quick. You can call and check on it and they will keep telling you the same thing. It's being processed. Just keep prodding them.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The VA really is the most inefficient government organization I have ever seen.