Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: benefits after his service?

1. Senior Member

Question benefits after his service?

Advertisements
    DB and I are planning in getting married, dont know when yet but we already talked about our future. We're not engaged yet but we already have plans and he will be proposing to me when we're both ready. DB also wanted to get out in the navy after his 5 years of service, he still have over 3 years left... we are probably going to get married before he gets out... I dont know if he's going to sign up as a navy reserve, I haven't asked him, but i know he wants to go back to school and get a degree...

My questions are, if DB and I get married after his 5 years of service, will he still have all the military benefits, such as BAH, spouse allowance, etc... and will I also get military benefits from him, like access on base, etc? I'm just asking... We could both use the military benefits, that would be a big help eventhough I won't be needing it because I am financially stable working as a nurse.

Any comments would be appreciated.... Thank you!
    Last edited by magentablues; 08-24-2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: misspelled
  2. Senior Member
    You're getting married AFTER he gets out?
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    You're getting married AFTER he gets out?
    No, not after... But I was just asking what if getting married after he gets out... We do have plans to do it before he even gets out...
  4. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magentablues View Post
    DB and I are planning in getting married, dont know when yet but we already talked about our future. We're not engaged yet but we already have plans and he will be proposing to me when we're both ready. DB also wanted to get out in the navy after his 5 years of service, he still have over 3 years left... we are probably going to get married before he gets out... I dont know if he's going to sign up as a navy reserve, I haven't asked him, but i know he wants to go back to school and get a degree...

My questions are, if DB and I get married after his 5 years of service, will he still have all the military benefits, such as BAH, spouse allowance, etc... and will I also get military benefits from him, like access on base, etc? I'm just asking... We could both use the military benefits, that would be a big help eventhough I won't be needing it because I am financially stable working as a nurse.

If he gets out, no he will not.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyykooolaid View Post
    If he gets out, no he will not.
    ok, i got you.... thanks!
  6. Senior Member
    No, not after... But I was just asking what if getting married after he gets out... We do have plans to do it before he even gets out...
    I'm inclined to think that if you marry him once you get out that you don't get anything? Because you weren't a dependent while he was in. I'm not positive on that though.

I'm confused as to why it matters? If you're marrying him prior, it wouldn't matter, unless you are trying to see if you can wait it out and marry him after he gets out and try and still get yourself benefits?
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

No, that is only for people who are working and are active. As for base access, I dont believe you will have access because he would have not retired out, just left.
  8. Senior Member
    "From the day military service begins, money begins accruing toward a retirement pay for the rest of your natural life. As a military member, you make no contribution toward your military retirement. The military retirement system is funded under an accrual accounting technique. After completing only 20 years of honorable service, a military retiree would receive 50% of the permanent basic pay. Each year of service thereafter adds an additional 2.5% until 30 years of service is reached, at which the retiree would receive 75% of the permanent basic pay as retirement income."

I'm pretty sure that's the only pay they get afterwards...

And that's retiring out after 20 years.
  9. Senior Member
    thanks for the comments ladies...
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    "From the day military service begins, money begins accruing toward a retirement pay for the rest of your natural life. As a military member, you make no contribution toward your military retirement. The military retirement system is funded under an accrual accounting technique. After completing only 20 years of honorable service, a military retiree would receive 50% of the permanent basic pay. Each year of service thereafter adds an additional 2.5% until 30 years of service is reached, at which the retiree would receive 75% of the permanent basic pay as retirement income."

I'm pretty sure that's the only pay they get afterwards...

And that's retiring out after 20 years.
    You don't mind if I ask where you got this info from? I'd like to read it more. thanks!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast