Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Army/ Military Dependent Definition?!?!?! Stepchildren?!?!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Army/ Military Dependent Definition?!?!?! Stepchildren?!?!

Advertisements
    Hi! I am trying to find out what, who and how a child is considered a military
    dependent...

My DH and I are married and I have a daughter from a previous relationship, who's father is also military and is her sponsor.

We are pcsing soon to alaska and my DH has been told that his step-daughter needs to be his dependent in order for her to be approved for the move and on his orders.

Does that mean that she needs to be in DEERS under my DH? Because her father is saying that it doesnt matter and that he wants her on HIS DEERS... idk what or who is right, I am very confused.

My DH and I just need to get her ok'd to leave with us, If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it! thx
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I believe (and someone will correct me) that your daughter can still stay on her fathers DEERS, but that because she lives with you and I am going to assume you have custody of her, that she needs to be on your DH's page 2 so that she will be counted as a "dependent" for PCS and what not...

There was JUST a thread about this, will see if I can find it!

Okie, the original post is not about this, but if you read through the thread they get to this issue towards the middle-bottom

Can a person be double-covered in United Concordia?
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I would call the post legal office. With as many blended families that exist today, this must be a common issue...
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Sam is correct. She can be on both her dad's and your DH's page 2 in DEERS. However you will have to make a decision as to who she will be covered by Tricare under.

Where is BethM? I know she knows all about this

5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    I believe (and someone will correct me) that your daughter can still stay on her fathers DEERS, but that because she lives with you and I am going to assume you have custody of her, that she needs to be on your DH's page 2 so that she will be counted as a "dependent" for PCS and what not...

There was JUST a thread about this, will see if I can find it!

Okie, the original post is not about this, but if you read through the thread they get to this issue towards the middle-bottom

Can a person be double-covered in United Concordia?
    Thank you for the link to the other post, it was helpful... So she can be on both pg 2's, but only listed as a dependent on one (her bio father)... I just worry b/c her bio father n I weren't ever married, and we have no court ordered papers or anything as far as custody. The only thing we signed was when he first enlisted, a paper giving me physical custody during his first enlistment... but he's on his second enlistment now so idk if its void now... I hope it wont be an issue.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Danyellt09 View Post
    Thank you for the link to the other post, it was helpful... So she can be on both pg 2's, but only listed as a dependent on one (her bio father)... I just worry b/c her bio father n I weren't ever married, and we have to court ordered anything... I hope it wont be an issue.
    I believe (and again, I could be wrong) that you may need to prove that you and your DH provide 51% for her in order to add her... I am NOT 100% sure about this though, so as crystal said, you may want to call legal and double and triple check this.

Also, is her bio dad ok with you taking her to where you are PCSing?
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I believe (and again, I could be wrong) that you may need to prove that you and your DH provide 51% for her in order to add her... I am NOT 100% sure about this though, so as crystal said, you may want to call legal and double and triple check this.

def the bolded and the sooner you do that the better or he may turn around just before you go and say you can't take her. Get a court order drawn up if you have to stating a custody agreement. The fact that you were never married doesn't matter, he is her father and has legal rights as well.

8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

We tried to get custody papers in order with legal, When my DH and I first got married but they werent much help, he was requiring us to write out our own custody papers or see a civ lawyer which is pricey, (i think he just didnt want to be bothered, but idk). Needless to say we never followed through, which is our fault.

Bio Dad is ok with her leaving, as he understands the lifestyle. Since he joined about 3 yrs ago, he has only seen her 3 times, but does give me child support, an amt we agreed upon when he enlisted. I asked him if we could just list her as mine and my DH's dependent to make things easier, and he still has full access to her like he always has, but he doesnt want that, and its ok I'm not mad about it, I think he recieves BAQ for her probably. Anyway, its just making things a bit difficult, especially since our move OCONUS is a bit last min
  9. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Everyone is right, I had this same question LOL.

The answer seems to be that the child should be in DEERS under the biological parent (that means that person is their Tricare sponsor, etc.). However, they can be on the Page 2 for both the biological parent and the stepparent if I'm not mistaken. In the Navy, we have PSD (Personnel Support Detachment), which is our finance/pay place, and I THINK that's where we need to go to get my kids added to DH's paperwork before he has orders (we haven't done it yet because we won't have orders for another 2+ years).

My ex and I DO have a custody arrangement, because we were married, so it was a condition of our divorce. From a legal standpoint, since there is NO court order, you can take your child anywhere you want--however, your child's bio father could always petition the court to put a temporary order into action that would require her to remain in the area until a permanent order can be worked out. If you guys already don't live in the same state, I don't think you need to worry about this too much. I would recommend visiting the legal office on base for advice on what you need to do to ensure that you won't have any problems with your ex.

Good luck with everything!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Danyellt09 View Post
    We tried to get custody papers in order with legal, When my DH and I first got married but they werent much help, he was requiring us to write out our own custody papers or see a civ lawyer which is pricey, (i think he just didnt want to be bothered, but idk). Needless to say we never followed through, which is our fault.

Bio Dad is ok with her leaving, as he understands the lifestyle. Since he joined about 3 yrs ago, he has only seen her 3 times, but does give me child support, an amt we agreed upon when he enlisted. I asked him if we could just list her as mine and my DH's dependent t make things easier, and he still has full access to her like he always has, but he doesnt want that, and its ok I'm not mad about it, I think he recieves BAQ for her probably. Anyway, its just making things a bit difficult, especially since our move OCONUS is a bit last min
    BAQ... you mean BAH? If your DH lists her on his page to and the military pays to move her, I dont believe her dad will be able to collect anything on her since she is not living with him and he is not covering her housing... (again, not 100%)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast