Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health Care Question

1. Senior Member

Health Care Question

Advertisements
    Hello, My DF and I are getting married oct.23,2010 and he is in the army national guard. He currently does not get health insurance. I want ensure we get medical health coverage once we are married because I have certain medications I need daily. Do you know how to find out about health care in regards to those in the national gaurd?

Peace is my wifey!!!!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by LukesGirl View Post
    Hello, My DF and I are getting married oct.23,2010 and he is in the army national guard. He currently does not get health insurance. I want ensure we get medical health coverage once we are married because I have certain medications I need daily. Do you know how to find out about health care in regards to those in the national gaurd?
    Does he not have insurance from his civi job? Is he full time NG or just the drill on weekends kinda NG? (no offense meant, DH is NG also)

It is not automatic & free like it is with active duty typically (unless he is full time, I believe). Your DF can purchase Tricare Reserve Select which is just like reg. tricare, but you pay for it (relatively cheap IMO when compared to others).

When/if he is ever mobilized(deployed) then he & any of his dependents will go on reg. ("free") tricare until 6 months after he de-mobilizes.

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/hom...ReserveSelect?
  3. Senior Member
    Yes. Look into tricare reserve select. TRICARE Plans

We just signed DH up for it. For him it is about $50/month which is EXTREMELY reasonable. For me to be on it as well though (family plan) it was almost $200/month. It made more sense for me to keep my insurance through my work.

When DH was deployed we were both 100% covered. I chose to use US Family Health Plan. Hope that helps!!
  4. Senior Member
    Right now my DF is NG drill weekends, but as of this month he begins deployment preperation because he suppous to deploy next year in may. Once were married I fall off my parents insurance. Would you recommend that I do the family plan through the NG or seek out other insurance? I am very confused when it comes to this....please help lol...

Peace is my wifey!!!!
  5. Senior Member
    Right now my DF is NG drill weekends, but as of this month he begins deployment preperation because he suppous to deploy next year in may. Once were married I fall off my parents insurance. Would you recommend that I do the family plan through the NG or seek out other insurance? I am very confused when it comes to this....please help lol...
    If you are married when he deploys you will be covered 100% for free.

Edit: once he is on active duty orders. When DH went to Texas to train, I was covered. From the date stated on his orders, you are covered.
  6. Senior Member
    He wont be deployed til at least may...so that mean 7 months without insurance..for those 7 month should we go through tricare? what do you think?

Peace is my wifey!!!!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

So he will be actively mobilizing (like has written orders, is reporting for "duty", training and all of that) this month?

If so then he will be entitled to either Tricare Prime or Standard (which is the same types of coverage active military have), and I would personally recommend that you not do anything about finding extra insurance until after he comes back (+ 6 months).

Why pay for something you will be getting free for the next year and 1/2 KWIM?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    So he will be actively mobilizing (like has written orders, is reporting for "duty", training and all of that) this month?

If so then he will be entitled to either Tricare Prime or Standard (which is the same types of coverage active military have), and I would personally recommend that you not do anything about finding extra insurance until after he comes back (+ 6 months).

Why pay for something you will be getting free for the next year and 1/2 KWIM?
    Yes. This is correct. As soon as he is on active duty orders, you are covered. You don't have to wait until he is in Iraq/Afghanistan. Have your husband take you to his National Guard headquarters and make an appointment with someone who can make sure you are all squared away before you leave.

What state are you in?
  9. Senior Member
    He was told that his training coming up in august was deployment training...he has not recieved offical papers yet...he is as confused as I am becauset this is his first deployment as well as mine...

Peace is my wifey!!!!
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Yes. This is correct. As soon as he is on active duty orders, you are covered. You don't have to wait until he is in Iraq/Afghanistan. Have your husband take you to his National Guard headquarters and make an appointment with someone who can make sure you are all squared away before you leave.

What state are you in?
    You can also go to any base and get it done as well, you will just need a copy of his orders (stating he is training and will be deployed for more then 30 days), your marriage license, and 2-3 photo ids!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast