Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Insurance?

1. blah blah BLAH
    blah blah BLAH

Confused Insurance?

Advertisements
    So, I have health care through my employer. Pretty good coverage, but not 100%. DF and I decided that it would be best (considering the upcoming expenses with being prego) if I kept my insurance as my primary coverage, and I got added to his Tri-Care (right?) as my secondary.. He called the people at Tri-Care and they said that with that insurance as secondary it would make my coverage 100%.. COOL, AWESOME.

One question though. DF is stationed at the MCAS in Yuma, AZ. It's 120 freakin degrees there this time of year.. and I don't want to have to go out there to sign up for the benefits, get the ID, etc. (I'm just too uncomfortable as it is out here where its only 100 degrees )

Can I go to one of the bases closer to home (Hueneme or Mugu or even Pendleton) to do this, or do I have to go to where DF is stationed?

Thanks in advance.
    *miles mean NOTHING when you are in love, and love means EVERYTHING when you are miles apart*

2. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    You can do it from where you are. He'll need some of your papers including your marriage license on his end to add you to his page 2. After that, he can mail some forms to you that you use to go on your nearby base to get your ID, signed up for Tricare, etc. It's been so long that I forget exactly what forms they are, but he should be able to find out.
  3. blah blah BLAH
    blah blah BLAH
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBlue505 View Post
    You can do it from where you are. He'll need some of your papers including your marriage license on his end to add you to his page 2. After that, he can mail some forms to you that you use to go on your nearby base to get your ID, signed up for Tricare, etc. It's been so long that I forget exactly what forms they are, but he should be able to find out.

Thanks so much
    *miles mean NOTHING when you are in love, and love means EVERYTHING when you are miles apart*

4. Senior Member
    You might want to call Triwest and check their benefits before deciding to keep your employers insurance. Usually there is almost no out of pocket cost for Active Duty family members on the Prime program. Triwest can send you a booklet on the two programs offered, Prime and Standard. It might be cheaper to just go with Tricare alone and drop other coverage depending on what the other coverage is. Congrats!
  5. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2BeMarried View Post
    So, I have health care through my employer. Pretty good coverage, but not 100%. DF and I decided that it would be best (considering the upcoming expenses with being prego) if I kept my insurance as my primary coverage, and I got added to his Tri-Care (right?) as my secondary.. He called the people at Tri-Care and they said that with that insurance as secondary it would make my coverage 100%.. COOL, AWESOME.

One question though. DF is stationed at the MCAS in Yuma, AZ. It's 120 freakin degrees there this time of year.. and I don't want to have to go out there to sign up for the benefits, get the ID, etc. (I'm just too uncomfortable as it is out here where its only 100 degrees )

Can I go to one of the bases closer to home (Hueneme or Mugu or even Pendleton) to do this, or do I have to go to where DF is stationed?

Thanks in advance.
    With Tricare Prime, it's 100% coverage anyways...
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    With Tricare Prime, it's 100% coverage anyways...
    It's 100% on Standard too.

I truthfully would probably drop my employer insurance and take Tricare. Usually people pay for their insurance through their employer and Tricare is free. Even Standard is WAY cheaper than anything I got under my parents very good private insurance and I get to see whatever doctor I want.
  7. blah blah BLAH
    blah blah BLAH
    Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    It's 100% on Standard too.

I truthfully would probably drop my employer insurance and take Tricare. Usually people pay for their insurance through their employer and Tricare is free. Even Standard is WAY cheaper than anything I got under my parents very good private insurance and I get to see whatever doctor I want.
    I'm really lucky.. my employer is my Dad haha I work for his company. So, the company pays it.. I just have a small co-pay (which the parents usually pick up anyway). The reason I chose to keep mine was because I was concerned about being able to keep my OB. I love her, and I didn't know if I had to go see a Tricare doctor instead.. but you said you can see any doctor you want???

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2BeMarried View Post
    I'm really lucky.. my employer is my Dad haha I work for his company. So, the company pays it.. I just have a small co-pay (which the parents usually pick up anyway). The reason I chose to keep mine was because I was concerned about being able to keep my OB. I love her, and I didn't know if I had to go see a Tricare doctor instead.. but you said you can see any doctor you want???
    Any TRICARE doctor...some doctors are still not tricare providers but you can check with your OB and call your regional contractor to see.