Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: San Diego - Medications Question

1. Senior Member

Confused San Diego - Medications Question

Advertisements

So moving from WA to San Diego and going from having my kids seen at the navy hospital to civilian drs has left me a little confused and with a few questions.

At the naval hospital in WA, our peds was able to prescribe children's tylenol elixer and it was filled at the hosipital pharmacy so I didn't have to purchase tylenol for the kids in town. Can the civilian drs. do that here...prescribe tylenol for the kids?

Second, Naval Hospital Bremerton had an over-the-counter program, where you could go...fill out a form, and get over the counter medications for free (limit of three) once a month such as Tylenol , IBprofen, Sudafed for adults and Tylenol for children over the age of 2. Does Balboa have a program like this for the basic meds?

I'm hoping there is a similar program here and I'm starting to run low on tylenol for the little ones (the joys of teething and injury) and tylenol for myself and hoping I don't have to make needless appointments for these things or have to pay the insane costs at the store.
  2. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nariah View Post

So moving from WA to San Diego and going from having my kids seen at the navy hospital to civilian drs has left me a little confused and with a few questions.

At the naval hospital in WA, our peds was able to prescribe children's tylenol elixer and it was filled at the hosipital pharmacy so I didn't have to purchase tylenol for the kids in town. Can the civilian drs. do that here...prescribe tylenol for the kids?

Second, Naval Hospital Bremerton had an over-the-counter program, where you could go...fill out a form, and get over the counter medications for free (limit of three) once a month such as Tylenol , IBprofen, Sudafed for adults and Tylenol for children over the age of 2. Does Balboa have a program like this for the basic meds?

I'm hoping there is a similar program here and I'm starting to run low on tylenol for the little ones (the joys of teething and injury) and tylenol for myself and hoping I don't have to make needless appointments for these things or have to pay the insane costs at the store.
    I would think they would have the same program here. I never used it but I have always heard about it.
    To the first concern about civilian doctors, I am not sure but I don't see why not because you can take a civilian Rx to the base to be filled which is what I do. I was forced to see a civi doc because the MTF's in SD are at capacity which was disappointing to me because I always liked going to the outpatient treatment facility the last time we were stationed here. I do like the doctor I picked, though.
  3. Senior Member

Thanks!

I'll have to do some calling around and see about an 'official' word on that type of program...and if they have it, how/where it works.

I was also forced to a civilian dr, and while I had the choice for the kids, I was informed Peds was pretty full too...so we went a different route and they have a civ. dr close to where we live.

I haven't seen the dr. I've been assigned to, would you mind sharing the name of the doc you like?
  4. Senior Member

Thanks!

I'll have to do some calling around and see about an 'official' word on that type of program...and if they have it, how/where it works.

I was also forced to a civilian dr, and while I had the choice for the kids, I was informed Peds was pretty full too...so we went a different route and they have a civ. dr close to where we live.

I haven't seen the dr. I've been assigned to, would you mind sharing the name of the doc you like?
    Her name is Dr. Joy Emmanuel-Cochrane, she is in Chula Vista, she is a general family practitioner.

I wish I knew how the "cold packs" worked here. When I was active duty that is what they were called and we could walk in and request a cold pack but I never did. I am not sure how it would work with dependents. Hopefully someone else has done it here.
  5. Happiness Is A Choice :D
    Happiness Is A Choice :D

I'm a pharm tech in VA and we often get prescriptions for OTC items such as ibuprofen and benadryl. At a retail pharmacy Tricare will not cover OTC items but if you have a script they should cover them at the pharmacy on base. I would just ask the dr for a script for it and explain that your insurance will cover it with a prescription; I don't see why they would have a problem with that.
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    Her name is Dr. Joy Emmanuel-Cochrane, she is in Chula Vista, she is a general family practitioner.

I wish I knew how the "cold packs" worked here. When I was active duty that is what they were called and we could walk in and request a cold pack but I never did. I am not sure how it would work with dependents. Hopefully someone else has done it here.
    Thanks! It's nice to know of Dr.'s that others have good experiences with. Just in case.

I'm gonna do some digging about the OTC program and see if they have it here...I'll let you know what I find out. I know the 'cold pack' type meds were included, though I'm not sure if they have actual cold packs for dependents. (Prior mil myself...I know EXACTLY what you're talking about )

Quote Originally Posted by csmithwick_819 View Post
    I'm a pharm tech in VA and we often get prescriptions for OTC items such as ibuprofen and benadryl. At a retail pharmacy Tricare will not cover OTC items but if you have a script they should cover them at the pharmacy on base. I would just ask the dr for a script for it and explain that your insurance will cover it with a prescription; I don't see why they would have a problem with that.
    Thanks for the heads up! I didn't realize that they wouldn't cover it at a retail pharm!! It's definitely good to know that if I get the prescriptions from the dr. for them, they should be covered!
  7. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    We moved from WA to San Diego in December. I see a civilian provider and my kids see a civilian pediatrician as well. My provider gave me a written Rx for Zyrtec so that I could get it for free at Naval Hospital pharmacy rather than buying it in town... because it's like $20 for a month's worth.

I don't bother with Tylenol--I buy the store brand! It's just as good IMO (and it didn't get recalled LOL)... and it's SOOOO much cheaper. And years ago when I got the infant drops at Naval Hospital Bremerton they were BRIGHT ORANGE (stain!) and really watery, whereas Tylenol brand and the store brands are a little thicker, so they tend not to run out of babies' mouths.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)