Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Healthcare- Navy

1. Regular Member

Healthcare- Navy

Advertisements
    Hey ladies!
    Ok, long story, but I'll try to keep it short. Here is the deal: My SIL has taken custody of her brother's son. Her brother is in the Navy and is getting ready to go out to sea for a while. Right now, the mother of the said child is in treatment for some mental health issues and is unable to care for the child- hence my SIL having custody of the baby. Her brother dropped the baby off with the TRICARE card and POA of the child. In my past experiences when moving from the east coast to the west coast (in the Army at least) we had to change the region. Here are my questions:

Do you need to change regions with Tricare in the Navy too (I assume this is a yes, but want to double check).

Will the POA alone allow the aunt to seek medical care by a Tricare auth provider OR does she ALSO need an auth on file with DEERS and TRICARE?

I think that is all my questions for now. ha!

Thanks for all your help, ladies. It's a sticky situation, and although we have had SOME experience with this on the Army side, I don't know if it differs on the Navy side etc.

Leslie
    DH and the newest babe...just a little sleep deprived.
    If you're a bird, I'm a bird~ The Notebook
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

1) yes he/someone will have to change regions with Tricare..otherwise coverage may not be covered.

2) I have no clue about this other question. I am sure someone on here can help you.
  3. Senior Member

Do you know if the father has a Family Care Plan since the mother is indisposed? it helps to make things smooth for the caregiver and I would think he would have had to have one since his wife is unable to care for the child.
    Preparing a Family Care Plan - Military OneSource
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    Do you know if the father has a Family Care Plan since the mother is indisposed? it helps to make things smooth for the caregiver and I would think he would have had to have one since his wife is unable to care for the child.
    Preparing a Family Care Plan - Military OneSource
    He does have a family care plan, but his sister who is caring for the child is not the one on the family care plan, his mother (child's grandmother) is. The grandmother is unable to care for the child, and he didn't update the FCP.
    DH and the newest babe...just a little sleep deprived.
    If you're a bird, I'm a bird~ The Notebook
  5. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stars4them View Post
    Hey ladies!
    Ok, long story, but I'll try to keep it short. Here is the deal: My SIL has taken custody of her brother's son. Her brother is in the Navy and is getting ready to go out to sea for a while. Right now, the mother of the said child is in treatment for some mental health issues and is unable to care for the child- hence my SIL having custody of the baby. Her brother dropped the baby off with the TRICARE card and POA of the child. In my past experiences when moving from the east coast to the west coast (in the Army at least) we had to change the region. Here are my questions:

Do you need to change regions with Tricare in the Navy too (I assume this is a yes, but want to double check).

Will the POA alone allow the aunt to seek medical care by a Tricare auth provider OR does she ALSO need an auth on file with DEERS and TRICARE?

I think that is all my questions for now. ha!

Thanks for all your help, ladies. It's a sticky situation, and although we have had SOME experience with this on the Army side, I don't know if it differs on the Navy side etc.

Leslie
    Make sure that POA is a Loco Parentis and not just a General POA. A Loco Parentis can be VERY easily obtained through Navy Legal Services. With a Loco Parentis, the person named on it can make legal decisions as far as medical goes.

I ALWAYS give my mother a Loco Parentis anytime I leave my son with her, in the event he gets injured or what have you.

And yep, make sure regions are changed and a PCM is established.

The child should have its own ID card, or a copy of the sponsor's ID card.