Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Therapy/Counseling?

1. Regular Member

Therapy/Counseling?

Advertisements
    Will I be able to get therapy once I get on tricare and get my ID card? I had to stop therapy when we got married because we have no insurance until we get on tricare once DH leaves for RTC. As long as my counselor is in the network, can I still get treatment? I saw somewhere on a thread that the military only pays for a few sessions. I can't afford to shell the cash out of pocket.

I have severe PTSD, nightmares, flashbacks, etc. I NEED the therapy.
  2. Senior Member
    I am not sure about therapy under tricare. I know that your can use military one source and it would be like 6 free sessions for you but you could talk to them about a way to continue it or some other options.
  3. Regular Member
    Thank you for the information. I had thought I got some free sessions through military one source, but I wasn't sure about what to do afterwards. Thank you for your help, though!
  4. Senior Member
    I worked for Tricare in the past and grew up with Tricare. Therapy IS a covered benefit and you have lots of options. Authorization may be needed so call your regional contractor for details or you can PM me with what state you are in and if you want prime or standard and I can get you more info.
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

With Tricare, you can get 8 or 12 (can't remember which but I think it is 12) visits free without having a referral. You just call the therapist and make sure they take tricare. After that, if your therapist thinks you need more sessions, they will put in the referral to Tricare for you.

6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by imisshim View Post
    I worked for Tricare in the past and grew up with Tricare. Therapy IS a covered benefit and you have lots of options. Authorization may be needed so call your regional contractor for details or you can PM me with what state you are in and if you want prime or standard and I can get you more info.
    When in doubt, check with Welcome to TRICARE, your Military Health Plan and they can tell you everything that you need to know. PM'ing other members is completely up to you and if it is done, you do so at your own risk.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. Senior Member
    Here is more info taken from the hnfs.net site which is the regional contractor for the east coast. (Should be similar all across the US though.)

Psychotherapy – Outpatient psychotherapy is limited to a maximum of two psychotherapy sessions per week in any combination of individual, family, collateral, or group sessions. Requires prior authorization for all beneficiaries after the initial 8 visits. All services provided by Pastoral Counselors, Licensed Professional Counselors (LPCs), or Mental Health Counselors (MHCs) must be referred and supervised by a physician (M.D. or D.O.). Requires prior authorization for all beneficiaries after 8 initial visits. Note: Behavioral health services rendered by a Physician Assistant (PA) are not covered under TRICARE. (Costs)

Meaning you can self refer to a NETWORK provider for the first 8 visits then that provider must request authorization for more sessions for you. (Also just because a provider "accepts" Tricare does not mean they are in the "Network". You can call your regional contractor for a list of current network providers.)

Hope this helps!