Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Submarines!

1. Regular Member

Submarines!

Advertisements
    I don't know if this is the right forum to post this on, but I wanted a little more information about subs! My husband will be on one, and I know that the communication is really limited between spouses, but the pay is nicer. I've heard different things about deployments. That they can last anywhere from 3-6 months? I may be completely wrong about that, but I would like as much information as you ladies are willing to shell out, about anything and everything to do with this new life I'm diving into!
  2. Senior Member
    Is he going to be on a Fast Attack or a Boomer? I know that can make a big difference on how his deployments go. I wish I could help more, but my husband has pretty much been on shore duty his whole Naval career and is a sub vol and will be going to his first boat, the USS Texas which is a fast attack in a few months. Hopefully some of the other ladies will be able to help!
    Desiree

Zachery Tobias born December 10, 2009!
  3. Regular Member
    I had no idea there was a difference, thanks for the information! His rate is SECF (something with computers). After that there's three concentrations: electronics tech, fire control tech, and sonar tech. He doesn't leave for basic training until next month, but I've been hearing really conflicting information from his recruiters and what I've been able to find online. Thanks for your response, though!
  4. Senior Member

My hubby is on submarines. You've got the idea of the time frame, but as luvmynavyET says, there's a BIG difference between fast attack and boomer life.

Boomers - There are two crews to these boats. Blue crew and gold crew, only one crew has control of the boat at a time. Patrols are generally about 3 months (90 days) each. One crew will take it out, when they come back, there is a change of control (turnover) the other crew fixes what needs to be fixed with support of the offgoing crew and then they take it out for their patrol period. Rinse and repeat.
    The length of patrols can vary widely. On our last boat, DH's crew was doing 95 - 100 day patrols, while the opposite crew did 50. Other boats were dead even 90/90. We even ended up with a back to back patrols before we left.
    Not usually a port call on a boomer.
    Mail drops can be few, and communication often extremely limited. I have experienced a patrol where I got an email from DH about a week after he left, and then didn't hear anything from him until the week before they were due back.

Fast attacks - There is one crew to each boat. Patrols are usually around 6 months, however they can be longer if needs of the navy demand it. DH knew a boat that kept getting extended and it had been a total of 9 months.
    Fast attacks will have port calls, which can mean visits or increased communication.

My DH has been on both types of boats, however, I have only had the experience as a spouse on a boomer.
    We liked the boomer schedule because it allowed for 'some' planning. You knew which holidays you should have the next year. You had an idea of when NOT to plan for something because DH would be out (births, vacations, etc...)

When DH goes back to sea duty, we'll be head to a fast attack, as there are no TMC positions on boomers.

HTH. If you have more questions, or I can help in another way, please don't hesitate