Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: college

1. Senior Member

college

Advertisements
    Hey ya'll!

Does anyone know exactly how certain things work that support spouses to go to college? This is my last semester and we just got married a few months ago so I'm trying to figure out what I would or would not qualify for before I call the VA office so I what they say isn't foreign to me.

Basically they said in an email that I could qualify for the GI bill, but DH is thinking about going to school for criminal justice. So I'm pretty sure he will need all of it, but I'm not sure how much it is if it would cover my last semester to or not. They also mentioned MYCAA, which I looked into and it's $6,000 for school but it's a one time deal. Has anyone ever received this? Since this is my last semester I'm not sure if I would qualify for that either.

Also, I usually get financial aid so I'm not sure if I can receive the benefits of being a spouse in the military.
  2. Senior Member
    To transfer GI Bill benefits, he has to have at least six years in, and commit to another four.

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB) - U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs

He can transfer all or just a portion. The bill will cover tuition and fees up to a state maximum. If he is active duty while you are attending school, you will not get the books or housing stipend.

I think MyCAA is still on hold for new accounts?

I don't know why financial aid would effect your status as a spouse?
    It's true I must be going, but I swear I won't be long
    There isn't that much ocean between Boston and St. Johns
    -Great Big Sea, Boston and St. Johns
  3. Senior Member
    Yeah the MyCAA is for spouses and a limit of 6k. You can use if for various degrees, certifications etc but it has to go to a portable degree. I have used part of my sum but not all of it.

His GI Bill can be transferred to you IF he has met the requirements under the new requirements.
  4. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Yep, looks like MyCAA is still on hold. I've been checking too.

https://www.militaryonesource.com/MO...tAccounts.aspx
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  5. Senior Member
    because you are now married, your FAFSA status will change, if you didn't fill it out as married.... if you didn't inform your school of a change in circumstances.

also, my school offers in-state tuition for military dependents, if you don't already have that.
    and there a few scholarships at my school for military dependents only.

maybe call your schools financial aid office? or look up "military" on your school's website?
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  6. Senior Member
    Sorry it's taken me so long to respond.

He's only been in a little over a year, and since I only have one semester left we want him to be able to use his GI bill for his education.

I did email the VA department through my school, that's who financial aid referred me too. They mentioned the GI Bill and MyCAA. I'm not sure why they would mention the MyCAA option if it's currently on hold? That doesn't make much sense.
  7. Senior Member
    You can't get the GI bill from him anyways. because he hasn't been in 6 years. and the VA dept may not have known that there are no openings for MyCAA. i dont know how large your school is, but my school is one of the largest, and there is one person to contact for all military related questions pertaining to education. maybe theres someone like that at your school?

if you go to a small school, or one with not much military, then you may be out of luck. did you try looking at all of the scholarships? also its a bit late to be asking about financial aid for this fall....? tuition should be due within the next few weeks...
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    also its a bit late to be asking about financial aid for this fall....? tuition should be due within the next few weeks...
    She's right. A lot of scholarships have closed by this point, for the year. But, check the link at the bottom of the page Beth linked to up there.

Also, if you can go to the school and say "Here's what I've applied for", they may defer tuition until you get a response. Be aware, though, that if you get denied, you'll be responsible for the bill. They may also ask you to pay up front and they'll reimburse you.

Have you talked to them about a payment plan?
    It's true I must be going, but I swear I won't be long
    There isn't that much ocean between Boston and St. Johns
    -Great Big Sea, Boston and St. Johns